Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Help! Eye drops into a 6 year olds eye!

(10 Posts)
Sexyfothermucker Fri 10-May-13 19:46:38

Can anyone tell me how to do it please? My 6 year old ds has conjunctivitis. We go through this nightmare every time he gets it if trying to get the drops in. He ends up completely hysterical and I end up cross and then feel really bad. confused Is the only way to hold him down? sad

pebblepots Fri 10-May-13 20:01:58

Well i've just been doing it in my 16 mo's eyes. I have trained her to expect a chocolate button after each eye is done. Before I start I explain we are going to do her eye medicine & keep her informed through the process.

After it's all done we have a clap (one of her favourite things)

She hated it at first but after 2 bouts of conjunctivitis she's fine with it.

nextphase Fri 10-May-13 20:03:31

Not done a child that big, but suspect you either need to bribe or pin down.
We've had success with wrapping tightly in a blanket, and dropping. Or sitting on the floor, using your legs to hold their arms out of the way, and drop. Bribe afterwards.

Good luck!

Sexyfothermucker Fri 10-May-13 20:04:48

Thanks for your reply. I've tried both these things. When I talk him through it, it makes him worse. I started at 7:30 and I'm no further forward sad

hearhear Fri 10-May-13 20:05:13

Lie him down, eyes closed(sweet/chocolate button in mouth) and put 2 drops on top eyelid on top of the eyelashes. Then get him to open his eyes, still lying down and 1 drops worth should go in. Reward chart counting towards a lego toy for the course of drops.

Sexyfothermucker Fri 10-May-13 20:05:43

I think it's going to have to be pinning him down yeah. confused

hearhear Fri 10-May-13 20:06:44

Put on the inner corner of the top eyelashes btw.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Fri 10-May-13 20:10:58

I had this nightmare with my 8 year old the other week when he scratched his eye and at 30 weeks pregnant wasn't going to attempt to pin him down! Dp was working away too so just had to do it while asleep and hope for the best!

Justguessing Fri 10-May-13 20:11:33

Not had to do it for a child over 18months, but my GP gave me the cream and told me to put it in first and last thing when they were sleeping. It worked brilliantly!

Sexyfothermucker Fri 10-May-13 20:49:09

Thankyou for all your replies. Finally managed to get them in after lying him down and sitting on his arms. Sounds awful but I got them in. Only another 20 more times to go blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now