Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Son possibly may have caught chicken pox whilst I'm 28 weeks pregnant....

(7 Posts)
Satnightdropout Fri 10-May-13 15:52:03

So, have found out AFTER picking up son from playgroup that there has been a few kids off with chicken pox. Obviously it's contagious before you get the outbreak /signs so I know there's no way I could really 100% protect my son from them, and there may be a chance he has /will catch them.
I'm a little concerned that I'm 28 weeks pregnant and if I catch them they can affect the baby? I've had them before but I did hear that if it was a very mild case then you're more susceptible to them a second time? I didn't know this but was talking to a mother last week as her grandson and granddaughter had them, and her two daughters also caught them as they had them so mild the first time. And my mother's just informed me I only had a few spots when I had them, and wasn't I'll for long.

Should I be concerned? I'm in no way one that usually gets paranoid during pregnancy, I'm pretty chilled, but would like to know the facts, please smile

I would call your midwife for advice. They will have come across this before, and will know what is the best thing to do.

Sorry - pressed enter too soon - I meant to add that they will be able to reassure you.

Furball Fri 10-May-13 15:56:37

This happened to me and I had a couple of injections as it turned out I wasn't immune, so that if I did get it it wouldn't be as severe. I didn't catch it.

Contact your midwife asap and see what she says smile

coffeewineandchocolate Fri 10-May-13 15:58:13

you can get a blood test from your gp to test your immunity if you are worried.

Satnightdropout Fri 10-May-13 21:38:07

Cheers guys, left message for midwife so will speak to her when she calls me back. My body doesn't seem to build immunity that well (hence the worry) as I've had the Rubella vaccination twice with no success, and a Hep B one which didn't make me as immune as they'd have liked. So, going to try and and get tested to see whether I'm immune to chicken pox or not.

DameSaggarmakersbottomknocker Sun 12-May-13 15:50:05

Hi satnight - I had CP when I was 26 weeks pg, caught it from my sister. I was told that it was an OK time (it there is one) to have it, better than early on and baby can be at risk if you have it at delivery.

I had anti-body injections to try to lessen the outbreak (this was 20+ years ago before antivirals were given); it didn't work as it was a bit late and I had the full blown infection by that time. It was grim having it as an adult. Hope you manage to avoid it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now