Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Chicken pox

(6 Posts)
Chelsea91 Thu 09-May-13 21:16:40

So my 3 year old started nursery in April and has chicken pox we knew it was coming as several children have been off recently with them. My question is I have a 6 month old. How bad will it be?

PoppyWearer Thu 09-May-13 21:21:09

I'm afraid it's one of those things where you have to wait and see.

DC1 has it around 5mo and had maybe 15-20 spots at most. She is definitely immune now. We breezed through it, but she suffered from messed-up guts (colic) afterwards.

DC2 had it at 19mo and was plastered in spots. Fever, very grumpy, awful itching afterwards.

I hope for your sake it's the first!

BTW the aqueous cream with calamine in it is brilliant.

Good luck!

Chelsea91 Thu 09-May-13 21:30:41

Thanks I'm bracing myself for the worst

PacificDogwood Thu 09-May-13 21:32:50

Incubation time is up to 21 days.
They are at their most infectious in the 5 days before the spots break out.

'Tis a lottery whether your LO is going to get it tbh.
May be at least partially protected if you are BFing?

Good luck.

Porridge oats tied in a pop sock and used as a 'teabag' in tepid bathwater is excellent for itchy skin too btw.

PoppyWearer Thu 09-May-13 22:04:09

Oh yes and bicarbonate of soda in baths and Dead Sea salts are good too.

And Piriton, for the itching, although my DC2 wouldn't take it.

Aveeno contains oatmeal and is great.

ilovepowerhoop Fri 10-May-13 19:15:37

ds had it just under 6 months and wasn't too bad. It is contagious for 1-2 days before the spots come out and until they scab over. The incubation period is 10-21 days so you have a while before you know if they have it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now