Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Should I have taken DS to hospital?

(15 Posts)
fishoils Thu 09-May-13 21:01:37

DS was messing about on the trampoline, earlier this evening, with a friend. They didn't zip up the safety net door and DS fell off onto his head. He is 6.

He couldn't remember how he'd hurt himself for about 5/10 minutes. He couldn't remember that he'd been on the trampoline. But then it all came back.

He has been tired since - but he cried loads and that always makes him tired. He is tired anyway at the moment and I also (don't know if I should have done) had given him calpol.

Otherwise he seems himself in terms of memory and speech and making sense etc. However he does say that his head hurts still.

I've put him to bed as I don't drive. Calling an ambulance seemed extreme and going to the hospital any other way an ordeal - particularly as he was so tired.

Just been in to check and he is breathing fine and looks normal.

But of course I'm worrying that I've not done the right thing. If he still has a headache tomorrow or if head hurts should I take him to hospital? or miss school?

Thank you.

5madthings Thu 09-May-13 21:03:32

Given the memory loss would have taken him tbh as he may have concussion.

I am quite relaxed over these things but the memory loss would concern me.

bamboostalks Thu 09-May-13 21:05:26

Memory loss should necessitate a visit imo. Phone NHS Direct.

fishoils Thu 09-May-13 21:06:23

OK Thank you.

pooka Thu 09-May-13 21:07:20

I would have tbh - the memory loss, the tiredness and the distance he fell.

I know if you ring nhs direct they will tell you to take to a&e, or would have done if our rung at the time.

CreatureRetorts Thu 09-May-13 21:07:45

Yes, man alive.

Sirzy Thu 09-May-13 21:08:08

I would have got him checked over

pooka Thu 09-May-13 21:08:38

Could you have got/get a cab?

TreeLuLa Thu 09-May-13 21:09:17

My best friend is a paramedic. While she was staying with us, DS fell off a bench onto a concrete floor. She checked the time and said that if there is a serious problem (like an internal bleed on the brain) then symptoms (dizziness, incoherence) are very likely to appear within an hour. She also suggested that I check on him ever hour or so for a few hours once he had gone to sleep - she said that if there is a serious injury then you can 'tell' as the muscles in the arms do funny things (she described it and showed me but hard to explain on writing).

I'd keep a close eye though. Maybe call OOH

DoctorAnge Thu 09-May-13 21:09:26

Yes he had memory problems after the fall. That is a long drop. take him!

FancyPuffin Thu 09-May-13 21:12:49

I would absolutely take him to A and E.

fishoils Thu 09-May-13 21:29:05

I have called 111 and they are going to call back in a minute hopefully.

Just having read what I wrote in the original post - its not correct. DS didn't fall onto his head. He fell onto all fours and his head also hit the ground. I don't know if that changes things.

TreeLula - I will go and check on him again -

I know I sound irresponsible, but my instinct told me he seemed himself and fine. If his memory had not have come back I would have called an ambulance. But it all came back crystal clear.

I have been worrying about his head still hurting, but DP said that of course your head would hurt after hitting it ...

Will speak to NHS direct soon anyway, hopefully.

FancyPuffin Fri 10-May-13 06:30:09

How is he today fishoils?

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Fri 10-May-13 06:58:38

Yes he still needs checked out

fishoils Fri 10-May-13 22:53:37

I took him to A&E today, because his head was still hurting and he seemed a bit off colour.

They said he was fine and we came home and he slept for an hour.

I think he might be coming down with something else. But thankfully his head seems to be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now