Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Recurrent constipation

(4 Posts)
Totesamazeballs Thu 09-May-13 07:09:01

Hi,
I have a 12 month DC who suffers with constipation every week. Lactulose solves it but as soon as we remove it, back comes the constipation, always taking a few days to appear.

Diet is rich in fibre and we are still giving bottles because if I do a cup then he takes in less fluid so I feel like I can't give up the bottle. I have started doing water with a smidge of orange juice but it hasn't changed things.

I read that too much fibre can be bad so I am careful to balance his diet and try to give him watery fruits.

He isn't crawling but bottom shuffles so could lack of exercise be the issue or lack of fluid still?

Bottle wise he has 300ml of milk a day. Then we do water in cups which he sips through the day.

I don't want him to be permanently on lactulose but his tummy is waking him at night. Anyone got any advice?

Thank you!

Totesamazeballs Thu 09-May-13 07:09:55

I should add, he eats well.

brettgirl2 Sat 11-May-13 08:31:15

Does he eat prunes and raisins? Dd1 was prone to constipation and this sorted her out. I would try to get a bit more fluid down. I know the hv s would probably tell you not to give them weak ribena but personally I would choose that over medicating for constipation. If you are sensible, one or two cups a day with food it won't do any harm.

brettgirl2 Sat 11-May-13 08:38:30

Oh and just one other thing I'm assuming he's on cows milk because the change from formula helped I found.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now