Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

choking child in school

(7 Posts)
Dubai Wed 08-May-13 14:49:20

Hi,

My child who is 5 year old choked last week while having school diner. Luckily for us, and by some kind of miracle he managed to be very sick to get rid of the meat stuck in his throat. My big worry and concern is lunch time stuff did not realise that he actually choked but of course saw him being VERY sick according to school. He was left alone in the medical room when I went to pick him up and I tried to tell them that he has not been poorly, he has not been infectious, and he told me he chocked BUT the stuff did not want to listen and the school wanted me to keep him away for 24 hours!!!! My child was seen by a GP who confirms that he has not been infectious. I sent an email to the headteacher asking for a full explanation for what happened and still have not heard from them.
My child is on packed lunch this week but of course I am just dead worried.
Thank you for any kind of advise.

Fluffy101 Wed 08-May-13 16:31:07

That's very worrying. Can you go in and see the head rather than waiting for an email response

purplewithred Wed 08-May-13 16:38:50

what specifically is your concern? that your child's story is not being believed? that nobody saw him choke? I think either of these warrant a phone call or a personal visit to the head, not an email. I would want to know that someone supervising is capable of recognising and dealing with a choking child, and I'd want to make sure the school knew that my child's story was corroborated by your GP.

Having said that, he may have cleared the obstruction pretty quickly himself, it wouldn't be unreasonable for him not to be spotted instantly. Glad he is fine.

SignoraStronza Wed 08-May-13 16:40:18

Are you sure he choked? If he vomited it out then he probably just gobbled something too quickly or stuffed too much in at once and gagged.

Gagging might look/seem very dramatic but nothing to worry about. Choking would have almost certainly rendered him silent and eventually unconscious if no action was taken to remove an obstruction from the airway.

Dubai Wed 08-May-13 17:13:40

My worry is that they MISS what was going on when he was under their care and it could have been far worse. They fail to assess the situation properly. If someone bothered to ask him or comfort him he woud have told them. According to school he was VERY SICK which means he had to use all his strenght, emptying all his stomack content to be able to clear his airway from the meat.

Dubai Wed 08-May-13 17:19:58

oh and the other thing is they did not want to believe he was well anyway and he has the right to go back to school instead i received an email telling me off for taking him to school the following day

Sirzy Wed 08-May-13 17:40:23

I agree with Signora sounds more like he gagged than anything else.

He cleared the obstruction, school don't know why he was sick neither do you really (could have been conicidence that he was eating and threw up at the same time) so have to stop him going in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now