Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

sun cream for sensitive skin

(10 Posts)
OhWhatAPalaver Wed 08-May-13 10:21:41

Dd is 16 months and her skin is quite sensitive to a few things and now we have discovered nivia kids sun cream irritates it too, does anyone have any recommendations for a sun cream that is good for eczema prone and sensitive skin? Preferably paraben free as well if such a thing exists! Thought I'd ask here before spending loads of cash trying different ones! Cheers folks smile

nicobean Wed 08-May-13 13:49:53

The only sun cream my 4 y/o DD isn't horribly allergic to is Piz Buin allergy. It's expensive so I bulk buy when Boots have it on sale.

It's full of chemicals and has a strong fragrance, but strangely enough she doesn't get a rash with it like she does with anything else.

Good luck, I spent a lot of money and had bottles and tubes of different sun creams falling out of my cupboards until I tried this one.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 08-May-13 14:00:36

The only one I can use on my 6yo DD is the scent free one from Green People

It has been a very costly experience getting to this stage <bitter>

The SPF isn't as high, but as there is only a few percentage points increase in the difference between factor 25 and factor 50, I'm happy to apply it more often and have it cost me even more money

If you contact them they will send some little sachet samples; at least they did for me a few years ago; failing that I see they now do a £5 trial size; so you won't need to buy the full size only to find it doesn't work.

Strangely though, their children's range is no good for her confused

And this year I've tried her with Ultra Sun which I'd heard good things about, and bought for myself (I have sun sensitive lupus) and this brings her out as well.

Mostly we keep her under wraps (long sleeves and a hat) and only apply suncream when absolutely necessary. We don't go abroad though; not sure just long sleeves would be good enough in, eg, the Med.

LatinForTelly Wed 08-May-13 18:46:09

We used badger sunscreen from the Itchy Baby shop. (In fact we used loads of products here when DS2 was little.) A quick google suggests you can get it from amazon etc as well. The Badger stuff is expensive, but it's SPF30, smells gorgeous, and never gave him a problem. In fact, it seemed almost to soothe his poor skin.

CJMommy Wed 08-May-13 18:48:28

Ooh! Bumping for any more ideas! My DS has reacted to everything so far ie Nivea, soltan, ambree solaire etc. about to try a boots own one but not too hopefulconfused I did see a sudocreme mousse one today at £15; that will probably be the next one I try (sigh).

NotWilliamBoyd Wed 08-May-13 18:57:29

This query comes up every summer, and I'm afraid that the advice always settles around different sun creams working for different individuals. For example, looking at the ones mentioned so far, my DS reacts badly to Nivea and Piz Buin, but can tolerate Ultrasun. The ultra gentle Green People one was terrible, although not as bad as the Sudocrem mousse, which I think triggered his worst reaction so far. We have also tried a Jason one and a Lavera one, no good for him. Over the years it has cost us a fortune. Obviously we started out with the usual ones that are everywhere on offer at this time of the year.

So, good luck!

NotWilliamBoyd Wed 08-May-13 19:01:33

Ooh sorry and another thought, don't rush into stocking up on a cream which seems to be ok, as I did that and then DS stopped tolerating a cream he had been ok with before. He seems to have a pattern of seeming ok for a couple of weeks and then, poufffffffffff skin rash explosion.............

olivo Wed 08-May-13 19:03:13

W have ended up using La Roche Posay for children as DD reacted t the Boots Soltan ones we'd previously used. It's quite expensive but doesn't end up drying her out or giving her a rash.

OhWhatAPalaver Wed 08-May-13 20:34:40

Wow so many different ones! Looks like we'll end up spending a fortune anyway... at least there's some good suggestions though, thanks smile I'll be Google-ing sun cream all night now smile

BlueBumedFly Wed 08-May-13 20:59:38

Proderm mousse if really great, the only one my DD can use. Its very easily absorbed and doesn't block the pores. They sell in Boots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now