Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

teenage girl depressed about her weight

(3 Posts)
susiecab Wed 08-May-13 10:02:12

My daughter was in tears last night wishing she was skinny. She's about size 12-13 and nearly 5'7. I remember the feeling myself at that age, so hard to comfort her or know what to say. felt a bit useless. just hugged her, Told her she is lovely,that its tough at her age and that we cd eat healthily together and do some exercise together. but heartbreaking to see tears streaming down herface. . .

Elibean Wed 08-May-13 14:14:33

((susie)) I can just imagine. Mine are still young enough not to focus on their bodies much, but I dread that kind of thing.

Hugs and healthy eating together sounds like the best thing a mum can do. Also, maybe worth telling her that teen years are a funny time for bodies - they can be like caterpillars, getting wider then longer, building up fat then converting to muscle, it's all a bit temporary in many cases.

Has anyone been teasing her? (angry at the very thought)

She doesn't sound overweight, tbh. I'm a size 10, but I'm only 5'4" and very petite.

susiecab Fri 17-May-13 11:37:06

Thanks eli . Also helped talking to her older sister. I did also tell her that tho she has a woman's body she still has her little girl layer too and will grow into her body and stretch out and lose that little girl layer. Seems happier at mo - ups& downs that go with the territory. :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now