Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

7yr dd suffering from constant 'head feels too heavy for her body' and nausea

(6 Posts)
HandbagAddiction Tue 07-May-13 20:51:20

For a while dd (who is a very slight thing) has suffered from very bad nausea in the mornings if she doesn't eat something fairly quickly after eating up. On a couple of occasions this has also resulted in her being sick - although this is rare. With her being so slight, I have always just assumed that she just needs feeding more frequently so I try to make sure I have snacks around as she will also feel nauseous in the day if she goes a long time without eating anything.

More recently, she has been complaining of headaches too - but not really painful, throbbing type headaches - more like a feeling of 'her head being too heavy for her body'. Those are her words not mine! Now I know she is inclined not to drink enough and we are making a conscious effort to increase her fluid intake, but it's the frequency of this strange feeling in her head that is starting to concern me a little more. And the fact that this feeling is still there in spite of the increase in fluids.

I know that I should whip her to the GP, but I wondered if anyone else had had experience of anything similar and could point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

seanbonbon Tue 07-May-13 20:56:22

Hi, the 'heavy' feeling with nausea would make me bring her to GP just for a check-up. Could be nothing but no harm just to put your mind at rest smile

staverton Tue 07-May-13 20:58:59

Yes agree. Go to GP, this week. Maybe print out what you've written here, as you've described it well.

HerrenaHarridan Tue 07-May-13 21:11:54

How long has this been going on for?

Is it likely to take a long time to get an appt with gp?

I don't mean to worry you but tbh I would call nhs 24 and describe her symptoms, that's what they're there for and it means a medical professional can diagnose her.
Chances are its nothing but there is a slim chance it's not and personally I wouldn't take that risk

MrsPoglesWood Tue 07-May-13 21:32:54

Yes - agree with the others. Please take her to the GP this week and explain she is suffering from morning headaches and nausea/vomiting. There are dozens of minor explanations but it does need to be checked out as soon as possible.

I do have experience of something similar unfortunately - DS experienced similar symptoms and had a serious illness but he's now 25 (he was 8 at the time) and in exellent health. In all probability it is something easily treatable but best to get it checked out as soon as possible.

HandbagAddiction Tue 07-May-13 21:52:47

Thanks all. I will take her to the GP as you suggest. Just to clarify though, her headaches are not in the morning but sporadic throughout the day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now