Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Natural hay fever remedies?

(10 Posts)
BNmum Tue 07-May-13 19:44:43

Is there such a thing as natural hay fever remedies? And if so do you have any success stories after using them?

My 2yo suffers from hay fever (predominantly streaming nose, which never seems to stop). We have piriton for when it gets bad and I give him local honey on weetabix, toast etc for breakfast but I'm wondering if there's any other natural products out there that we could try.

Would love to hear how other young hay fever sufferers get on. TIA

frazzledbutcalm Wed 08-May-13 14:22:36

Myself and 3 of my dc suffer from hayfever. It's horrible, affects our day to day lives in the summer months ( well, March to September!). We use antihistamine tablets every day, different ones are effective for different people. Try using something different until you find what suits your ds. My dad suffers terribly and no antihistamine works for him. He found some natural herbal things at the health food shop. Works a treat for him! Does nothing for me though!

BNmum Wed 08-May-13 15:50:02

Thanks frazzled, I really feel for you. It must be dreadful to be a sufferer yourself and have 3 dc who are also ill with it.

Have you ever tried tiger balm, haymax balm or similar? I fear this is going to be an expensive summer of experimenting with different treatments!

Pascha Wed 08-May-13 15:54:06

I tried Haymax during pregnancy. It did bugger all so I stuck with antihistamines.

frazzledbutcalm Wed 08-May-13 17:47:52

BN I've never tried any of those. Will look out for them.
Pascha Different treatments work differently for everyone. Do antihistamines work for you? It's good when you find something that works.
I take antihistamines, eye drops and nasal spray. I still suffer. As do my dc. It would be just lovely to find something that works for everyone!

Pascha Wed 08-May-13 19:18:29

Loratadine is good for me, with nasal spray for the worst weeks.

eragon Wed 08-May-13 23:25:51

what works well, using a non sedative antihistamine, taken at night 2 weeks before season starts. so mark the calender. this time of year is tree pollen then half way through may is hay fever.

vasline up nose during day.
well controlled ezcema, as its an open wound and pollen gets in.

showering when coming home from outside, and before bed.

sun glasses/hat

nasel sprays , even just water ones, rinse pollen from nose.but severe allergy requires nasel sprays.

stop hanging washing on line outside, including bedding.

shut bedroom windows esp in evening.

for severe allergies , electric pollen and dust filter works very well if nights are disturbed.

what doesnt work.
honey.
think about it. the pollen that causes the problem is the very fine grains, like birch pollen, not the ones normally found on flowers the type that honey bees like. which are heavier grains which dont normally cause the main allergy response.

the idea of honey is based on the idea that small amounts stops the reaction,but really a small amount is enough to start a reaction depending on the allergic individual.

you have no way of knowing if the jar of local honey you have, contains the right pollen in the amounts needed to build up some form of resistance.

frazzledbutcalm Thu 09-May-13 00:27:25

Pascha ... loratadine doesn't work for me. I just don't think anything does!

eragon ... I do almost everything on your list but am still plagued sad
The only thing I don't do, but will now try, is the vaseline up nose.
I've read the honey thing in the newspaper, I'm not convinced it works or won't work. But I imagine it will be very difficult to get honey made from your actual local area!

Hope OP has better luck than me!

BNmum Thu 09-May-13 07:55:59

Thanks for the comprehensive list of to do's eragon.

We do a fair amount on there already which is reassuring. I will also try the Vaseline.

I am sceptical about the honey but its tasty, its supports a local business an there's no harm in it so we'll continue using it. We have hives in the field next to us and take some honey as 'rent' so we are fortunate in knowing its origin and it is very local.

Do your kids have to take medication with them to school frazzled?

frazzledbutcalm Thu 09-May-13 14:34:26

They haven't so far, but that's because their tablets are just one a day. They can't put in their own eyedrops and I doubt they'd let a teacher! We're at the stage with ds though that he'll have to start taking his drops in, 2 dd's can manage from 8.30 til 3.30 with no drops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now