Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Massive tonsils. Advice Please

(6 Posts)
ElleOhElle Tue 07-May-13 19:31:32

DD is 2.2 and for the last couple of months I've noticed that her tonsils are huge and blood red - can see the blood vessels. She had tonsillitis twice last year, and I'm worried if she gets it again her tonsils will literally close over?!?! She doesn't seem to be in pain but she does make this funny noise like she's straining and I'm not sure if that's to do with this or not. The GP looked at her tonsils the other day and said they were large but didn't really say anything other than that.
I don't really know where to go now, I'm seeing the allergy nurse next week so thought I'd mention it to her!
Anyone got any experience/advice?

rubyslippers Tue 07-May-13 19:33:27

my DS had a permanently enlarged tonsil plus various other issues and he recently had them out

lots of children have enlarged tonsils - they aren't necessarily anything to worry about = they are infection fighters so can get large

if they interfere with eating etc then it may be time to take action

Elibean Wed 08-May-13 14:19:06

I think tonsils are problematic if they get infected a lot, or if they cause sleep apnoea. My dd2 (now 6) had huge tonsils, and though she never had tonsilitis she basically couldn't sleep or eat anymore. She made a lot of noise when sleeping, and would stop breathing, gasp and then breathe again.

If either of these two things happen, I would insist on an ENT referral. Some GPs are great at doing this, others drag their heels.

But they won't 'close over', she'd have to have a massive infection for that sort of thing to be a worry. I'm not sure about the straining noise, is she noisy when she sleeps?

vjg13 Wed 08-May-13 19:11:50

They do shrink back as children get older.

Missymoomum Thu 09-May-13 04:40:02

MY 4.9 yr old DD was found to have enlarged tonsils when she had a routine check up with a GP when she was 2.5. She'd never had tonsilitis and the GP asked me at the time if they had caused any problems (sleep apnoea, snoring, eating difficulties etc) for her and i told her no as i was surprised that they were enlarged. At the time the GP said that as this was the case then they would either go down thjemselves or if they didn't then as long as they didn't cause problems then at around the age of 7 a child's skull has quite a growth spurt and what were initially large tonsils become not quite so large iyswim.
About 6 months later, she started waking up to 7 times a night every night and she also started snoring. We had very disturbed sleep for about 6 months before i suddenly remember what the GP had said all those months before and then another 8 months later of disturbed sleep she finally had them removed along with her adenoids too! She now sleeps so quietly and ALL night that we've gone to the other extreme and i now sometimes have to lean over her to check she's still breathing!
As Elibean has said if they aren't causing her any of these problems then there is no need to worry but just be aware that there is a small chance that they may do in the future. When i initially approached the GP after the symptoms started she thought it may have been an allergy that caused them so started her on antihistamines and a steroid nasal spray for a month and that helped slightly but not significantly.

ElleOhElle Fri 10-May-13 15:03:21

Thanks everyone, that is putting ny mind at rest a bit. her sleep has been disturbed recently and she snores a little bit. something to keep an eye on. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now