Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD with fractured ankle and walking cast. Any advice?

(4 Posts)
mrs2cats Tue 07-May-13 13:48:26

I've already posted in General Health and then noticed there's Children's health too which might be more appropriate.

DD who's almost 10 fell off her bike at the weekend and has a slight ankle fracture. Yesterday she was fitted with a walking cast and sandal. We've been told to let her rest for a couple of days with her leg up and, when she's ready, she's to start bearing weight on the injured leg. She does have crutches as well.

I'm a little concerned about open toes and our changeable weather. Does anyone know of any stretchy socks that we can put over the cast? I've tried DH's and I've tried some other old socks that seemed to be stretchy but they aren't stretchy enough.

Also, is there anything we should consider for when she goes back to school? I've spoken to the school this morning and they suggested early drop-off etc. DD seems OK in herself but I'm not sure when to take her back to school. I think Friday might be a good option as that's just one day and then it's the weekend. Dunno! Just a bit confused as the hospital gave very little information really.

Any other tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

DorisShutt Tue 07-May-13 13:58:21

Gents welly socks.

What I used when I broke my foot many years ago.

mrs2cats Tue 07-May-13 14:07:28

Thanks Doris! Funnily enough I was trying welly socks but they were DD's so no wonder they didn't stretch enough! Feeling a bit silly now that I didn't think of gents blush. Off to look at ebay...

IShallWearMidnight Tue 07-May-13 14:12:05

also the cheapy "fluffy" socks from poundshops etc, they tend to be quite stretchy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now