Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

? Lisp in 4 yr old

(5 Posts)
PJM18 Mon 06-May-13 21:43:06

Hi. My son has just turned 4 and whilst I understand everything, he says a lot of words with his tongue between his teeth. For example, if he was saying Charlie it would sound a bit like tharlie. I'm not sure if this is what a lisp is but wondered if anyone else's child has had this and whether speech therapy helped.

GiveMumABreak Tue 07-May-13 21:43:01

My DD had a lisp - I left it too long before I got her seen by a speech therapist (I thought it was sweet,it didn't worry me) but By he time she turned 8 she was incredibly self-conscious and being teased about it - I eventually got her seen by a speech therapist (and in only one session she was saying her 's' sound perfectly, now only needs to keep practising) it seems like a common problem and seems so easily rectified. However there loads of people out three with lisps, and if they are truly not bothered by it, thats also fine - It may it worry him at all when he's older. Good luck!

AwkwardAnnie Tue 07-May-13 22:21:27

At 4 it's quite common for children to have lisps, often they will grow out of them, but at around 5 or 6 GP's would look at referring to a Speech Therapist for things like lisps.

Do other people understand your son?
Does he get frustrated that people aren't understanding him?

Waiting lists for Speech Therapy are generally quite long so if the lisp is severe and people really struggle to understand him I'd speak to your GP now.

If he's generally understood by other people most of the time and he just sounds young when he's speaking (which I suspect he might be) then I wouldn't worry too much and I'd wait until he starts school. Schools are good at picking up when a child needs help or if it's something they'll grow out of in time. At least our school is.

I had quite a bad lisp when I was 4, my family understood me but no one else did. I saw a Speech Therapist twice, she said I'd probably grow out of it when I started school and I did.

DD also had a lisp, I used to be a Speech Therapy Assistant, with adults though not kids, so no real expertise myself but I'd often chat to my boss about DD. Her lisp improved loads once she was in school full time, she almost 6 now, she still struggles with one sound but my boss and I are probably the only people who notice it, because we're listening for it.

The only sound I've actively worked on correcting with DD was a "th" sound which she said as "f". Her little brother's name ends in "th" so it was really obvious and irritating (to me). When learning phonics they learn that Naughty Clowns go "thhhh" they really emphasise it and stick their tongues out. We got her to really stress the "th" at the end of her brother's name and after about 2 weeks she was doing it in all words naturally.

PJM18 Wed 08-May-13 23:12:29

Hi. Thanks for replies. He's generally understood very well, it's just the odd word that you have to ask him to say a few times. I'm not even sure if it would be called a lisp as I always thought lisps were having problems with s sounds but he puts his tongue through his teeth for quite a lot of letters.

bluecarrot Wed 08-May-13 23:56:20

My dd had trouble with t's and S's - she put her tongue through her teeth and it actually caused her to drool a bit. 6 x 30 minute weekly sessions (and lots of practice at home in between) and it was no longer noticeable. Def worth seeing about a referral and getting it nipped in the bud.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now