Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Croup - OOH?

(10 Posts)
JollyOrangeGiant Mon 06-May-13 06:21:59

24mo DS has all the symptoms of croup here - www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Croup/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

He's been snotty for a few days. His cough started yesterday afternoon and kept me and him up through the night. His breath sounds laboured at the mo, but that seems to come and go. His voice is croaky. The cough is grim and barking when he coughs. He had paracetamol at 3am.

Do we phone NHS OOH?

(He's been ill so much this year I'm doubting my rationality quite a lot).

seeker Mon 06-May-13 06:33:07

Keep him upright and try taking him out into the cool air- that always helped my croup prone child. Very cold drink to sip or ice lollies help reduce the swelling. If you're at all worried then definitely ooh. Poor both of you, it's a horrid thing

NeverBeenToMe Mon 06-May-13 06:48:26

make the bathroom steamy and sit in there. If you took him to ooh you may find he is better when you get there because of being out in the cold(er) air.
Wet flannel on the radiator helps too.

Hope he feels better soon x

SizzleSazz Mon 06-May-13 06:50:45

Yes, call ooh.

Sirzy Mon 06-May-13 08:13:20

I would take him out into the cooler air and see how he goes. If he is still struggling then I would consider OOH

You may find though that he is fine during the day then struggles again at night.

JollyOrangeGiant Mon 06-May-13 09:26:26

Thank you everyone. I called OOH, we had an appointment at 8am with a lovely doctor who diagnosed croup. Doctor gave some medicine - I'm not quite sure what, bad mother - to reduce inflammation and said that it might happen again tonight. If it does, take him outside but if he's still coughing after 10 mins outside call OOH and they'll come with more medicine. He doubts it would be as bad tonight though.

DH is home today and I'm off to a big work meeting on 3 hours sleep. Blergh. Just glad it is nothing to worry much about!

seeker Mon 06-May-13 10:01:01

Don't forget the ice lollies. They were a godsend for us.

JollyOrangeGiant Mon 06-May-13 17:01:39

Gave him a mini milk earlier which definitely helped the rasping breath, thank you smile He's fine if he sits still and doesn't cry. So lots of tv for us today!

seeker Mon 06-May-13 17:15:07

Keep water in fridge for him to sip too. The cold reduces the swelling in the bronchioli- if that's how you spell them.

My dd used to make big eyes at the local shops keeper and get free lollies when she had croup......

JollyOrangeGiant Mon 06-May-13 17:57:28

Ooo, I could get DS to do that grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now