Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

can kids get chicken pox more than once?

(9 Posts)
Fisharefriendsnotfood Sun 05-May-13 11:19:24

Dd (5) and Ds (3) had chicken pox last christmas twelve months. Dd came home from school on friday with a temp but no complaints, then woke friday night with earache, and had fever and earache yesterday. She is better in herself today but when I was drying her after her bath this morning I noticed she has about 10 red spots dotted about...

Ds has a bad cough, temp and generally out of sorts.. we have friends with young twins (12 weeks) and a 2.5 yr old visitting tomorrow, so you think its possible its chicken pox again? should I be putting them off?

THanks in advance smile

crazynanna Sun 05-May-13 11:27:49

Yes, you can get chicken pox more than once. DD had them at 9 months, and again at 5. Distant memory now she is 14, but I remember the spots being little fluid filled spots when they were appearing...does your dc's spots look like that?

burberryqueen Sun 05-May-13 11:30:38

yes they can although it is unusual.

AuntieStella Sun 05-May-13 11:31:35

Yes. Fairly rare, but definitely possible.

SilveryMoon Sun 05-May-13 11:34:30

Both of mine have had it twice. Each had one mild case and one that was much worse. At opposite times though.

Fisharefriendsnotfood Sun 05-May-13 11:48:45

Oh god life is hard enough please no! Also have 6 moths old baby sad

FloresCircumdati Sun 05-May-13 13:27:20

yes, I remember having quite badly when I was about 6 and I was really poorly with it at 18.

catkind Sun 05-May-13 13:32:03

Could it be measles given current outbreaks?
But yes, I had CP twice as a child, it is possible.

zipzap Sun 05-May-13 13:32:34

Seem to remember it's something like 5% of people get chickenpox more than once...

Hope your d. Don't suffer too badly from them if they have got them again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now