Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Bed wetting

(8 Posts)
Queenmarigold Sat 04-May-13 22:35:21

Pls help; my dc age just 5 is still not dry at night and never has been. There are complex other health issues caused by cancer but no one has ever said this could be caused by it. Currently using pull-ups and think its just one wee during sleep - dry when I go to bed, wakes early (6 ish to go to the loo but pull-up is wet every morning.
Is this normal?
What do I do- how did you get your dc dry at night??

littleballerina Sat 04-May-13 23:55:51

my ds2 is 7 and still not dry. we've spoken to school nurse who says it's not a problem.

dd and ds1 were both quite young when they became dry at night so i used to worry about ds2 but don't now. he'll get there.

do you practice things such as no drinks before bed? wee then brush teeth then wee again to ensure empty bladder etc?

beautifulgirls Sun 05-May-13 14:37:52

Still young to be worried right now. DD2 has only just become dry after seeing the enuresis clinic, she is 7. Tried a few strategies first with them then moved onto a bedwetting alarm which fixed things within a matter of weeks. Basically we started with drinking lots in the day, avoiding fizzy drinks and blackcurrant. It helped a little bit but didn't solve the night issues every night, but I can see how it would help some children without needing further intervention.

Queenmarigold Sun 05-May-13 21:56:48

I think we have multiple issues- very deep sleep, not drinking enough during the day being a couple. I just think its odd as all developmental milestones were achieved early (walking at only just 12m, feeding self with spoon- 9m etc) - seems out of character. Hmmm.
V glad alarm system worked tho- was she v tired with it??

olivo Mon 06-May-13 07:58:14

My DD was wet until she was just turning six. We had her checked for infections etc and nothing. In the end, we bit the bullet and took her out of pj pants, in case she was being lazy and relying on them. We had 3 wet nights and then she went dry. We also told her, not sure if it helped, but it might have done, that each pair of pj pants cost us 50 p and that she could have the money if she didn't wear them and the bed was dry, until £5.

Tortoise Mon 06-May-13 08:01:27

DD2 is 8 and only just dry at night (still very occasional wet bed).
This was only after going to clinic and upping drinks and no drink after 6pm.

Queenmarigold Mon 06-May-13 11:08:04

Thanks everyone. So I will try more drinks in the day, see how that goes. So good to know we're not alone! X

beautifulgirls Mon 06-May-13 12:08:36

No she wasn't very tired on it. It did go off a few times, but she hated the thing! It helped her to realise that she was wetting though as it goes off immediately. She too is a deep sleeper but it was enough to wake her (to my surprise).
Drinks wise we were advised 6-8x 200ml drinks a day an no tea/coffee (easy with a kid) and no blackcurrant or fizzy drinks either in that. Orange squash, fruit juice, water and milk all acceptable. No specific guidelines for stopping drinking before bed time though we had a rule after 6pm was water only as then she would only drink if she was truly thirsty then.

Prior to all this her pull ups were wet to bursting every morning without fail. We had the alarm in use for around 6 weeks in total though it only went off a handful of times in the earlier days, and since then she has been 100% dry. (now about months without it.). We stopped using pull ups for a few weeks before we tried the alarm but she still wet and it didn't really help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now