Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Jelonet for chicken pox wound?

(6 Posts)
piemashandliquer Sat 04-May-13 14:35:03

My DD has some infected chicken pox wounds, my sister has given me some jelonet packs to use. She has them for wounds that have difficulty healing and thought they might help.

I don't want to use anything that would make my daughter worse - anyone got any experience?

The worst wound is under her arm - so not much opportunity to get air to it to dry it out.

Any advice gratefully received.

Queenmarigold Sat 04-May-13 22:39:17

It is evil stuff! Don't use it, it sticks in the wound to new skin then rips it off. Mepitel is much better, our gp gave us some.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 05-May-13 09:30:35

Jelonet is very dated wound healing technology it is impregnated with vaseline which we now know is counterproductive to wound healing.
I am a fan of two new technologies Manuka honey impregnated dressings and silver dressings.

QOD Sun 05-May-13 09:33:18

Hmmmm I was given it for a burn and it was wondrous. It took the pain away, but I don't know now whether I'd use it after theses comments. ^

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 05-May-13 09:34:52

Silver again is now felt to be the best thing for burns. Though burns are very different to other types of wounds due to the thermal shock to tissues and the importance of very moist wound healing.

AwaManuka Sun 05-May-13 23:42:12

Hi all. I work for The Manuka Shop and am a firm believer in the manuka honey wound dressings. My daughter was recently bitten by a poisonous spider and got a severe infection from the bite. We used the manuka honey dressings on the wound (while she was taking antibiotics) and the doctors and nurses were all quite impressed with how quickly she was able to heal - and without a scar despite the depth of the original wound. I've used them for burns and scrapes, as well. Highly recommended!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now