Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Ridiculous question about older baby's poo

(8 Posts)
MrsBungle Fri 03-May-13 11:28:10

This is most likely a ridiculous question but it's been bothering me so I am going to ask!

My DS is 1 next week. He eats well and is 91st centile for length and weight so he is big and healthy!

He eats well and poos about 3 times a day. His poos always seem full of his actual food. I can see everything he has eaten - like it has just gone straight through his system - carrots, peas, raisins - just the same as they went in!

I take it this is normal?! I know the odd thing e.g. sweetcorn can be like that but is it normal for all the food to come out the other end unchanged? My poo nor DD (aged 4) is like that!

TIA to anyone who is kind enough to reply to me!

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Fri 03-May-13 11:32:02

I would think that if he was having trouble absorbing the food he would t be as happy and be growing do well. Perhaps it really is just the excess as he eats well.

MrsBungle Fri 03-May-13 11:53:22

Thanks Caffeine. Yes, I thought that. He surely wouldn't be putting on weight if he wasn't absorbing what he needed.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Fri 03-May-13 12:00:07

I quite often see whole grapes or lumps of carrot in dd's poo. And raisins. Pepper too. I work on the basis that if they are eating well sleeping well and growing fast then there can't be a problem. Like dogs, bright eyes glossy hair etc grin

As he's only one I expect his body is still getting used to ever increasing amounts of solid food and less milk.

starfishmummy Fri 03-May-13 12:00:10

I am not an expert, but agree with Caffeine. Perhaps he isn,t very good at chewing??

MrsBungle Fri 03-May-13 12:05:04

Thank you!

Starfish - He is definitely not very good at chewing I don't think - he just wants to wolf it down asap!

I know I am being a bit ridiculous as he is fine and wouldn't be if he wasn't getting any food but it's just weird seeing his lunch in his nappy practically the same as when it went into his mouth!

soontobeslendergirl Fri 03-May-13 12:13:39

My boys were a bit like that - made you want to cut out the middle man and chuck his dinner straight into the nappy grin

Both big boys - expected height 6'4- 6'6. No1 son currently 12 and 5' 7 and no2 son 11 and 5' 5" - he is still at primary and is taller than his (male) teacher smile

MrsBungle Fri 03-May-13 12:16:24

Thanks Slender - I'm glad of the reassurance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now