Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd 8.11yrs 40.5degree fever

(10 Posts)
Stressedtothehilt Fri 03-May-13 07:02:08

Hi all, dd came home from school yesterday said her throat had been bit sore, she ate a small tea but seemed her normal chatty self. She then suddenly said she was very cold and shivery so I suggested she got her pyjamas on. She did this and actually out herself to bed at 5.30pm!

She seemed to go downhill very quickly after tea one kin she was ok the next she wasn't , I checked her temp and it was 39.5. Gave her calprofen. Checked it at 10pm and it was 40.5! Stripped her down etc . Checked temp this morn and its still high at 39.9, calpol doesn't see, to reduce it by much.

She's obv going to docs today but just wondered if any bugs doing the rounds? She's not had a fever this high since she was a baby (other than when she had swine flu). Only symptom is a sore throat but her temp never goes this high with tonisilitis normally

Roshbegosh Fri 03-May-13 07:05:27

Hope she's ok, poor thing

ShowOfHands Fri 03-May-13 07:07:18

DD has had raging tonsillitis. I've woken up this morning feverish and unable to swallow. Temp was unusually high for dd.

fluffymindy Fri 03-May-13 07:10:55

Unless she is really poorly today I would leave the Doctors unless they can see the tonsils infected they will tell you it is just a virus! Why don't you do the paracetamol and ibuprofen alternately? That might help.

SwishSwoshSwoosh Fri 03-May-13 07:13:21

With a temp that is very high and does not go down with medication nhs advice is to see a doctor. I would get her checked because if it is tonsillitis then antibiotics would be in order.

Stressedtothehilt Fri 03-May-13 07:16:11

Thanks guys. Yes she does seem really poorly, she has ADHD and normally cannot sit still and stop talking so for her to stay in bed quietly something is wrong! She's never ill either can't remember when she last went to gp . Will see how she is at lunchtime and decide from there

Stressedtothehilt Fri 03-May-13 07:17:07

Thanks swish yes that's what I was thinking, usually her temp would come down more poor little sod

LackaDAISYcal Fri 03-May-13 07:17:20

We've had a similar bug here. Really high temp, ultra sleepy and lethargic, sore throat, mouth, head, and DS vomited, but I just had a really grumbly tummy though I felt queasy. They are dropping like flies at school as well.

I hope she feels better soon, poor thing sad

acebaby Fri 03-May-13 07:55:07

I would take her to the doctor for a check up - especially as she does not usually get high fevers. My ds1 does get temps this high whenever he is ill, but responds rapidly to calpol or ibuprofen. Good luck

Stressedtothehilt Fri 03-May-13 08:09:46

Thanks yes ill ring doc at 8.30 to see what the say

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now