Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Milk in the eye-good idea?!

(10 Posts)
WestoS Thu 02-May-13 22:51:45

So the health visitor came today, and I mentioned that DD (aged 3 weeks) gets quite a bit of sleep in one eye, and asked if I should just continue bathing her eyes with cooled boiled water (ie or does she need it checked by the doctor/eye drops etc). She said that better than that, I could squeeze a bit of breast milk into the eye and it would work beautifully as it's full of antibodies. This really doesn't feel right-surely milk is too fatty and just too milky to go in an eye?! Would you?!

cocolepew Thu 02-May-13 22:53:46

Yes its ok to use.

intheshed Thu 02-May-13 22:54:15

Yes, did this many times! Breastmilk is some kind of newborn cure-all smile

Casmama Thu 02-May-13 22:54:37

It works really well- milk is full of antibodies.

Casmama Thu 02-May-13 22:54:58

Just a drop or two should do it

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 02-May-13 22:58:06

Yes. In the eye, up the nose, for nappy rash, for cradle cap.

Use the stuff while you have it and cure your other family members too.

Magic stuff.

Fuckwittery Thu 02-May-13 22:59:21

Its commonly recommended, its sterile and full of antibodies.
A link here about some of the studies, nothing conclusive but worth a try
scienceofmom.com/2011/11/08/can-breast-milk-cure-my-child?s-eye-infection/

Also
www.topsecretmaternity.com.au/blog/2011/09/27/breast-milk-and-eye-infections/

PoppyWearer Thu 02-May-13 23:00:41

Yes!

WestoS Thu 02-May-13 23:09:55

Well thank you all very much! smile I will give it a go and next time be less suspicious of the poor health visitor (I was very polite and didn't say I thought it sounded weird, but I wonder if it came across on my facial expression...). Thanks for the links to the studies too. Will give it a go for the nappy rash too smile

GibberTheMonkey Thu 02-May-13 23:12:30

Since I haven't been breast feeding I get thrown by though situations where I would now ally just use milk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now