Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Has your child had measles in this outbreak? What was it like?

(5 Posts)
fishoils Thu 02-May-13 22:31:41

I have a DC with other health issues and have previously been advised to not vaccinate. However I'm now weighing up the risks on either side.

Thank you.

SchroSawMargeryDaw Thu 02-May-13 22:39:16

My DS had suspected measles but the OOH ruled it out because he had been vaccinated and was starting to get better, he had the measles rash though and had been very ill for weeks (2 GPs said it was the characteristic rash but as he had had MMR then it wouldn't be). I've had doubts about this as he really was very ill and I have had Mumps even after being vaccinated.

We had a bit of a scare when we at first took him to the hospital, it was about a night or 2 before the rash appeared and his temperature had spiked to over 40 and his heartrate was going a bit mad and setting the alarms off, he barely moved except to cry or scream for about a week, he had to be given 5ml or dioralyte every 5 minutes to make sure he took it or kept it down as he pretty much stopped having wet nappies, his temperature was pretty hard to control as well. I have never seen him so ill.

If that wasn't measles (even though I do kind of think it was) and measles is worse than that then I would dread to think of what it would be like.

SchroSawMargeryDaw Thu 02-May-13 22:39:46

DS is 19 months btw, 17/18 months when it happened.

fishoils Thu 02-May-13 22:53:26

Gosh that sounds bad. Your DS will only have had one MMR then? Maybe he was the 5% that was not immune. So of course it could have been measles.

It makes me so cross that doctors and hospitals are telling parents of immunised children that it can't be measles. Because of this I mistrust the figures that are being published giving the numbers of vaccinated and unvaccinated who have been affected.

This is why I am asking for first hand experience/advice from parents.

However, whether, I would want to put DC at risk from the vaccine only for him to get measles anyway ... I don't know what to do.

SchroSawMargeryDaw Thu 02-May-13 23:15:56

I don't know that it was measles though. Whatever it was it was bad.

Personally if I was in your position I would weigh up the risks of what the worse possible outcome from each would/could be and make my decision from there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: