Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How urgent is blood in poo?

(6 Posts)
orderinformation Thu 02-May-13 19:02:54

Dd is 2.4yo. She did her first poo in potty today and it has bright red blood on it. Perhaps it always does but I saw it more clearly in potty. But have not seen before. She had taken a good five mins to do it with lots of straining.- she goes once a day usually but can find it hard to get out. There was no blood when I wiped her and never has been.

Anyway I will go to doc about this but we go on holiday on Mon so I have to either get emergency appt tomorrow or wait two weeks. Wwyd?

featherbag Thu 02-May-13 19:17:29

If the blood was 'on' rather than 'in' the poo she's probably just ruptured a couple of blood vessels straining. Having said that, I'd go for the emergency appointment just for extra reassurance - you can never be too careful where kids are concerned and if it were me I'd not be able to fully relax on holiday worrying about it!

countrysidemummy Thu 02-May-13 21:49:20

Sounds to me like she has a little anal fissure http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/186514.php my dd used to get them. They usually heal on their own but can cause some discomfort until healed.

PJM18 Thu 02-May-13 22:48:59

Are you sure it was blood and nothing she has eaten like red peppers, beet root etc. which can sometimes cause the poo to have red in it. Otherwise probable from straining too much but best to get it checked to put your mind at rest before your holiday

orderinformation Thu 02-May-13 23:20:49

Well I wondered about something she's eaten. She was at nursery yesterday so who knows what she ate though she did a poo last night so presumably anything she ate at nursery would have come out then and I don't think she's had anything red since.

Tmi alert but her poos are hard and take a lot of straining to get out. We try to give her fibrous food and lots of water but not really helping. Will def book Gp appt to talk about it post holiday but will decide am whether to queue up for emergency appt.

PJM18 Sat 04-May-13 00:48:17

Given that her poos are hard and she is straining it probably is a little tear/fissure. Ideally her poos would be a bit softer and easier to pass to give it time to heal if it is this. If you don't go to GP before holiday you could maybe give her some lactulose while you're away which should help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now