DD's best friend at nursery's baby sister has just been diagnosed with measles, DD had been kissing the baby whenever we meet. DD has had steroids over the weekend for her chest and has low immune system, she has had the 1st mmr but it's effects may be reduced by the steroids. The whole class has been exposed today, would getting her booster now be too late? or shall we just hope she doesn't get it and wait for her booster in 6 months?
My DH (a doctor but not an immunologist) says that the vaccines take a while to take effect. So in this case it's probably not going to help. Although I guess if it turns into a cluster of cases, things would change.
In the event of a measles outbreak, the MMR vaccine can be given to protect people who have come into contact with the condition in the previous three days. This is because measles antibodies develop more quickly following vaccination than they do after a natural infection.
You need to get medical advice tomorrow. Do not be fobbed off. Measles is very infectious so if her immunity has dropped then she is likley to be vulnerable. Don't panic, don't let dp panic but very firm about getting comprehensive advice and immediate action. Are you under the care of a hospital paediatrician for her chest? You might want to ask the GP to contact them for advice.
This whole situation makes me so angry. There is no need at all for a baby to have measles or for your child to be at risk. This is 2013 after all. Hippy parents want their arses kicking!
Sounds a similar area to here (South Devon). I have a 9 month old and GP has told me he can't be vaccinated outside the vaccination schedule. DD is immunised but is at preschool in a very under-immunised area so I'm worried as he's in contact with other children when we go to school.
Sorry for misinformation I gave above. NHS page is quite clear!