Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

GP or not?

(6 Posts)
FarelyKnuts Tue 23-Apr-13 08:08:46

3yo DD has been unwell with what we suspect is flu (both myself and DP have it) since last Thursday. Running high temps that do come down with calpol/nurofen and runny nose, off her food, tired and a bit miserable. She has developed a bit of a cough that seems worse in the morning and during the night which we had been suspecting was from all the gunk going down the back of her nose lying down.

However she is still running temps and coughing harder today. Is it time for GP or do we wait it out with flu being viral and can't do anything anyway?

Moominsarehippos Tue 23-Apr-13 08:15:06

If the temps been high for a few days I'd go - even if they can prescribe something to help with the symptoms. Some of these bugs can go onto the chest and get nasty. Poor thing!

FarelyKnuts Tue 23-Apr-13 08:17:47

Thanks moomins. Im always reluctant to run to GP when its probably viral, the whole unneeded antibiotic thing but this seems to be going on a long time!

Moominsarehippos Tue 23-Apr-13 09:03:21

I think with temperatures, if they are particuarly high, or hand around for more than a couple of days (going up and down as they do) then its best to have the GP take a look. It could just be one bug after another.

waikikamookau Tue 23-Apr-13 09:16:58

coughing is good, gets rid of the gunk in the chest which is probably looser. but go to GP just to be sure, she is only young.

FarelyKnuts Tue 23-Apr-13 10:00:41

Have made appt for GP this afternoon. Better to be safe than sorry at this stage I guess. Poor bub sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now