Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Anybody awake...DD (7) crying and unable to sleep due to dreadfully itchy feet

(28 Posts)
Pocketmonster Mon 22-Apr-13 23:24:19

Can anybody suggest something to help, DD - 7 - has had really itchy feet (on the tops at the front) since she went to bed. I have tried cold water, moisturiser, anti histamine (which seemed to work for a couple of hours) but she is awake again and in tears because of the continual itchying.

Does anybody have any suggestions about what it could be and how to relieve it for her?

Thanks in advance.

Growlithe Mon 22-Apr-13 23:39:15

I've no idea on what could be causing this so am really just bumping for you.
I'd be inclined to phone a late night pharmacist if you have one nearby (if not NHS direct). I'd also try sudacrem if you have any.

DiscoDonkey Mon 22-Apr-13 23:40:42

Have you taken her out of her bed in case it's something in or on the bed causing it?

I get this. The more you scratch, the more they itch. I get it with my ankles, too. Distraction might work. Perhaps read her a story? You need to break the scratch/itch cycle.

crazydrunkevilhamster Mon 22-Apr-13 23:43:33

Do you have any of that cream that stops itching think it may be called eumavate but don't quote me on that .
I use it on me & my Ds4 as we both get horrid heat rash

ShootingStarsss Mon 22-Apr-13 23:43:53

Soak them in hot water see if that helps.

BabyRuSh Mon 22-Apr-13 23:46:11

Has she been walking around barefoot? Somewhere where dogs could have poo'd? I think there is some parasite in dog poo that can enter human skin and make it itch. On a practical note (my ds once had severe contact dermatitis on his palms from a nickel allergy and itched for weeks), dont let her scratch it, re-apply moisturiser (baby lotion or something as simple) and you trace your fingers lightly over the itchy bit. She may be over scratching and causing it to itch more. It may be a disturbed night for you though!

Rulesgirl Mon 22-Apr-13 23:47:16

I get it too feet, lower legs and lower arms. Eurex is what we use. Its a lotion that you put on the itchy parts but as its related to "hives" antihistamine tablets and entihistamine cream works. I always find I get it when I have had a bath (though havnt had it for years).

Rulesgirl Mon 22-Apr-13 23:48:41

Also if she has been playing bear foot in grass that has been treated with chemicals which people do at this time of the year, that can cause it.

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 22-Apr-13 23:53:29

chilblains! bloody nightmare and i had them at a child. See a chemist for some ointment that will stop the itching - does she have red patches on her feet where they are itchy?

do her feet or toes turn blue in a hot bath?

they are incredibly painful/itchy. horrible things. often caused from circulation problems - common but horrid. and treatable.
if you are not certain take to gp.

WouldBeHarrietVane Mon 22-Apr-13 23:56:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 22-Apr-13 23:59:20

if it is chilblains hot water is a no no. it will make them worse. as will cold. any extreme temp will hurt.

i had chilblains on every toe at 11. they made me cry, caused me extreme discomfort at night too.

do see a gp or chemist.

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 23-Apr-13 00:03:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rattitude Tue 23-Apr-13 00:07:12

I suffer from dyshidrosis between May and September. It is a form of eczema. I shower at night and I think it exacerbates the condition as my feet get really itchy when I go to bed.

Applying a moisturising cream helps relieve the itch. The key thing is not to start scratching my feet, which is sometimes easier said than done.

It is probably worth seeing a GP or chemist, and get a proper diagnosis and some appropriate medication.

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 23-Apr-13 00:23:05

if it is chilblains then washing wont help no matter what the temp of water.

i think the OP needs to see a chemist or GP for a definitive diagnosis and then she knows what she needs to do.

my bet is chilblains. but best check.

ElectricSheep Tue 23-Apr-13 00:33:08

Does she have a temp? Are her hands/face ok? Thinking foot and mouth? My DC had this and were quite poorly for about 5 days. Can't remember if they had ABs but we deffo went to GP.

Hope it's gone by morning. Might be worth just trying paracetamol.

showtunesgirl Tue 23-Apr-13 00:35:26

Yes, I was thinking Hand, Foot & Mouth too. I caught it from DD and had the most horrendous itchy feet and then they started to get the spots on them. The itch was so bad that I couldn't sleep.

TheOldestCat Tue 23-Apr-13 00:36:24

DD had these symptoms last week - she couldn't sleep because of the itching. I gave her Piriton and it helped eventually.

She woke up the next morning with a rash on her feet, elbows, face, hands. Turns out she'd been rolling on the school field and has an allergy to grass.

Hope you get whatever it is sorted soon.

ThatVikRinA22 Tue 23-Apr-13 00:40:34

so many mixed opinions mean a trip to the GP i reckon OP....hope you get to bottom of it.

bruffin Tue 23-Apr-13 00:47:57

I have dishydratic eczema as well and its incredibly itchy.

Try the chicken pox porridge oats method as it works with eczema as well for now.
Soak porridge oats in a meshy material, tights will do, squeeze it and a cream will ooze through the mesh and put that on her feet. It is lovely and soothing.

Snazzynewyear Tue 23-Apr-13 00:49:44

Try athlete's foot cream - if you have any - not because that's what it is but to try and stop/reduce the itching for now. Doctor's after that.

financialnightmare Tue 23-Apr-13 00:52:50

Look up pompholox excema

It can be hard to see

I get it sometimes - agony

financialnightmare Tue 23-Apr-13 00:54:49

Google images is a horror but you can hardly see the spots on me

Worth considering though

Good luck

bruffin Tue 23-Apr-13 01:03:05

Pomphlox is another name for dishydrotic eczema

ElectricSheep Tue 23-Apr-13 19:27:41

Did you find out what it was OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now