Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

White spot type blisters in toddlers mouth - should I be worried

(11 Posts)
DaisyFlower123 Mon 22-Apr-13 20:34:46

My son was diagnosed with tonsilitis on Saturday and now has white blister type things all along his lower lip and inside cheeks. Is this normal?
He is not happy in himself, has a horrid dry cough, very flushed and eyes red and extremely watery. He is on anti-biotics. should I revisit Dr?

Phantomteadrinker Mon 22-Apr-13 20:46:14

Hmmm, it's probs just all part of the infection. I'd see what the anti biotics do as they'll probably do the trick quite quickly. I'm prone to tonsillitis and often get mouth infections too so it's probably all the same thing. If the abs don't make a difference in a few days take him back but I'm sure they will. Hope he feels better soon

geologygirl Mon 22-Apr-13 20:55:34

Yes its normal with tonsillitis. Just make sure you get plenty of liquids into them. Sucking cucumber slices helped my ds! If the sores haven't improved after a few more days if antibiotics then I would check with GP again. Its so painful for them. I hope you little one gets better soon!

flossyfloo Mon 22-Apr-13 20:58:52

Daisy the symptoms you describe can be signs of measles. With measles, 'koplik spots' appear in the mouth a few days before the rash and those affected have red eyes and general flu-like symptoms.

I don't want to alarm you and unless you are in or near Swansea it is most likely to be a reaction to the tonsillitis but I thought I should mention it just in case.

ggirl Mon 22-Apr-13 21:00:36

white spots in mouth is usually thrush

ggirl Mon 22-Apr-13 21:05:02

thrush looks very white if that's any help, almost like you could wipe them away , not sure what kopliks look like

DaisyFlower123 Mon 22-Apr-13 21:10:38

thanks, he had thrush as a young baby and this looks different, more grey like and when I just googled (oh the joy of google!) he hits 90% of the measles symptoms, but as yet no rash has appeared but he does have red spots on his cheeks coming up.
He has had MMR but is only 2 and NHS direct seems to suggest the 5-10% don't have full immunity until second job. Another concern for me here would be that i am heavily pregnant with dc2.
I am sure it is nothing and is just tonsilitis but think I will phone gp in morning just to check. Our GPs are very good at giving phone advice and then if they feel necessary seeing you straight away, especailly if it is a child.

DaisyFlower123 Mon 22-Apr-13 21:11:51

should add his temp was dancing around 40 all weekend, now finally under control. Probably is just tonsils but can't help but worry!

flossyfloo Mon 22-Apr-13 21:42:18

Hopefully it is just tonsillitis which can make people quite poorly. Are you anywhere near the outbreak areas?

DaisyFlower123 Mon 22-Apr-13 21:51:56

No, we are down in the south east. The chances of it being measles are very slim i think, just these grey-ish blisters that are worrying me and his eyes look so red. but again this could equally be tonsillitis and reacting to the infection.

Wallace Mon 22-Apr-13 22:02:14

Hand foot and Mouth perhaps?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now