Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Fancy a game of 'is this chickenpox'?

(12 Posts)
getoffthecoffeetable Sun 21-Apr-13 20:55:31

On Wednesday evening DS had 3 spots on his back that looked like insect bites. I gave him some piriton and asked DH to mention them at nursery the next day in case it was anything else. DH duly mentioned it and within 30 mins we had a call to fetch DS as they thought it was chickenpox. DS had apparently developed another 20 spots in that short space of time.
DS has now got a few more spots but they've not crusted over at all and don't look like blisters. He also doesn't appear to be itchy with them.
Is it possible to have chickenpox without the spots blistering up?

narmada Sun 21-Apr-13 22:06:55

I think it's pretty unlikely. Are there any on his head?

moocowmrs Sun 21-Apr-13 22:09:41

We have been diagnosed with Cp this week, no spots on body only 12 or so in total, I thought she had been bitten sorry but ours don't seem to be itchy or very blistery either but gp confirmed.

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 21-Apr-13 22:12:28

My DD had a set of spots that I was convinced were chicken pox. They didn't crust up in the way her eldest brothers had but my middle child had just a few spots that didn't crust either.

With DD there hadn't been an outbreak I was aware of near us with DS2 DS1 was just recovering so I'd put money on his having been real.

PreciousPuddleduck Sun 21-Apr-13 22:12:45

Doesn't sound like cp if no blisters.

NotSpartacus Sun 21-Apr-13 22:14:16

It's the right time of year for chickenpox.
On the basis that common things are common, I reckon he has a mild dose of pox.
Or maybe not. Can we see a photo of the spots?

UniqueAndAmazing Sun 21-Apr-13 22:18:34

according to our book....

rash starts on the body and spreads and they don't start as blisters.

slightly raise temp, feeling "quite ill"

getoffthecoffeetable Mon 22-Apr-13 06:07:45

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm 12 weeks pregnant so have a habit of going to bed early!
DS has had a raised temperature which has gone down with Calpol but hasn't been constantly raised IYKWIM
He's got a cough and a very runny nose.
This morning his eyes appear to be quite swollen but he's well in himself.
I think I'm going to get DH to take him to the GP this morning.
Thank you for your help.

getoffthecoffeetable Mon 22-Apr-13 11:59:48

The verdict from the GP was that it's a chest virus. The spots haven't blistered and DS isn't covered in them so it's inconsistent with chickenpox. DS has been given a steroid cream and the all clear to go back to nursery.
Thanks again for your help.

UniqueAndAmazing Mon 22-Apr-13 14:34:34

hope he recovers completely soon smile

FoundAChopinLizt Mon 22-Apr-13 14:42:48

Useful tip from my mum, who is a retired dr, chicken pox often starts in warmer areas of the body, esp behind ears or in groin creases.

getoffthecoffeetable Mon 22-Apr-13 16:10:26

Thanks unique

Will save future tip for the next time we suspect he's got chickenpox, thanks chopin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now