Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd's ankles and pronation

(10 Posts)
Dancergirl Sun 21-Apr-13 10:59:29

Dd is 10 and has had problems with her ankles for some time (few years?). The main problem was pain.

I took her to see an osteopath who I've seen before with other things and trust his opinion. He's private and charges £41 per session. I don't mind paying if its worth it though.

However a couple of years on and I'm having doubts about his advice. Dds ankles still look terrible - really bad rolling in when you look from the back.

The osteo initially recommended jelly type heel pads to be worn in her shoes and advised she should also wear them in trainers for PE and not go barefoot when doing indoor PE. After a year or so, the pads wore out and she now has orthotics in her shoes. I've paid for 2 pairs so she can wear them at school and at home.

When I take dd to see him, he does manipulation on her ankles and then says to see how things are. But I'm concerned after all this time things aren't improving.

Should I maybe take her to see someone else, a podiatrist or orthopaedic doctor?

CaptainCalamari Sun 21-Apr-13 11:07:47

My DS has the same thing, due to hypermobility - he's seen a paediatric podiatrist and has orthotics for his shoes, but they're not planning on offering anything else. Has the osteo suggested that it is something that should improve over time, and if so, how? The podiatrist we see has said that basically its just how DS is - the orthotics might reduce hip and knee pain when he's older, but nothing will change the pronation.
So... although I'm always more comfortable seeing an NHS professional so went the podiatrist route rather than private, I think ultimately you might find there's no solution other than what you're doing. If its hypermobility I think we tend to stiffen up somewhat when we're older, I guess the orthotics helps everything be in the right position if/when this happens!

Dancergirl Wed 24-Apr-13 22:40:15

What sort of shoes should I get for her? Presumably with good support, but will the usual Start rite/clarks be ok?

SuitedandBooted Wed 24-Apr-13 23:10:01

My DD is 9, and was diagnosed as Hypermobile at 18 mths, and wore orthotics until she was 3. Your child's ankle problems sounds exactly the same as DD's. I would STRONGLY recommend seeing a Paediatric Podiatrist through the NHS. We went the private route initially, and the (very highly qualified) Physio we saw turned us away, saying that the NHS was much better placed to deal with DD's problem!
We were told that she may get more "bendy" as puberty approached - maybe that is happening to your daughter? Don't despair, though, as joints do firm up over time - muscle-building exercise is really good - cycling, swimming etc.

bicyclebuiltforfour Thu 25-Apr-13 00:13:36

DH has this problem: it was (finally) diagnosed when he was about 4. He's hypermobile with flat feet and pronating ankles. He wears shoes with high ankles (so boots really) and (custom made) orthotics. He struggles in shoes like flip-flops for longer than a few hours, and struggles also with sports involving lots of running.

He was offered an operation as a child to correct his ankles, but the success rate was fairly low, so his parents decided it wasn't worth the pain and trauma. Obviously things may have changed since then.

DD has ankles which look similar to his so we've taken her to see an orthopaedic guy, who says that it's probably just flat feet in her case.

Sorry if this doesn't sound very positive. Personally I'd take her to an orthopedic doctor rather than an osteopath, if only for a second opinion.

Dancergirl Thu 25-Apr-13 09:10:29

Thanks, will take her to GP for a referral.

LifeofPo Thu 25-Apr-13 09:14:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Elibean Thu 25-Apr-13 13:06:07

Both my dds have orthotics, though dd2 has more pronounced pronation and tends to get more pain.

The information I have is that they don't exactly 'get better', as flat feet (which they both have) don't. They can be compensated for with orthotics, and the right kind of exercise (dancing eg) can certainly strengthen the muscles and therefore protect the joints. dd2 has far stronger feet, ankles and legs thanks to endless bounding on the trampoline!

But 'better', I don't expect I'm afraid. Preventing back or knee pain yes, but stopping pronation per se, no.

Maybe someone else knows differently, though.

Elibean Thu 25-Apr-13 13:06:47

ps dds have seen podiatrists and physios, btw, nhs and privately

frazzledbutcalm Thu 25-Apr-13 21:31:55

I go privately for my 4dc. All have orthotics. Ds1 is 19 and only diagnosed recently so he'll not get better. Dd1 is 13 and I've been told if she wears them correctly (she's at that age <rolls eyes>) she may not need them by the time she's 18. Dd2 is 9 and I've been told she could be out of them and fine by the time she's 13. Ds2 is 8 and I've been told he's going to take longer as he's the worst affected, but should be fine by the time he's 18. It's all to do with their growing and how early the problem is caught. The orthotic should be worn all the time but we also do lengthening exercises for their leg muscles. Ds2 has very tight calf muscles which get worse during a growth spurt. Dd2 has a very tight pelvis. The NHS route just said they could break their legs, re-set and pin the bones shock
We didn't fancy that so have chosen this route.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now