Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Did I give my daughter herpes?

(8 Posts)
carriedawayannie Sat 20-Apr-13 10:24:23

My daughter has had eczema since she was 6 months old.

Recently it has been really bad so she has seen a dermatologist who has diagnosed her with superimposed herpes simplex.

She was prescribed Acyclovir syrup, Dermol and Elocon and it has worked really well.

So doctor was obv correct.

So did I give my daughter herpes? What does this mean long term for her? How would I know if I could have given this to her?

ditsydoll Sat 20-Apr-13 14:10:25

Isn't herpes simplex just the cold sore virus? X

Vicky08 Sat 20-Apr-13 16:18:46

My DS has it, when he was 1 he got it in his throat, and since then he's had it twice on his thumb and one on his lip.

He gave it to my DD and she had her first outbreak on her gums, they bled like hell but after taking zovirax for a few days it cleared up.

It is just the cold sore virus and in the long term that's all that will happen, they will get cold sores now and again like the majority of the population.

Both DH and I have it as we sometimes get cold sores.

LilQueenie Sat 20-Apr-13 16:23:07

You know Ive been thinking the same about my DD. No eczema cream was working. Her back still has little blotches that come and go especially in the heat. It looks like little cold sores.

carriedawayannie Sat 20-Apr-13 20:00:26

Is just the cold sore virus? I stupidly googled before posting a thread and read lot of horrible things.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Lilqueenie have you been to the GP about it? My GP didn't reconise it as a viral infection and kept prescribing antibiotics which had no effect whatsoever. The dermatologist took one look and said it was a viral infection. Maybe pushing harder for an appointment with a dermatologist.

ditsydoll Sat 20-Apr-13 21:20:36

Yes it's the cold sore virus and while it can be quite serious for a newborn your dc has had more than one outbreak so will be fine.
She will just get cold sores from time to time like most people.
The herpes virus lies dormant for most of the time and outbreaks become less frequent as the years go on.
Stop worrying, most kids get cold sores at some point x

MaureenMLove Sat 20-Apr-13 21:27:09

AFAIK, everyone has the herpes simplex virus in them and in some it lays dormant, in others they get cold sores.

Neither myself or DH (or any of the family for that matter) get cold sores, but DD does! I think her virus was 'woken up' when she had a really bad bout of ulcers, followed by chicken pox. She was 5 or 6 and until then she'd never had one.

ditsydoll Sat 20-Apr-13 22:02:30

I agree Maureen, iv never had a cold sore but my dad has always suffered with them. Iv never had a break out of cold sores but must have caught the virus at some point due to such close contact

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now