Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Advice on 6 month old vomiting, please

(7 Posts)
RunningOutOfIdeas Fri 19-Apr-13 15:18:38

I have asked for a call from my gp and have also tried NHS direct, but I am unlikely to get any advice from either for another 2 hours.

DD is 6.5 months old. Since Monday she has refused all food - I thought she might be teething. Then she started pooing more frequently and became very windy, but seemed well enough otherwise.

Last night she drank her bedtime bottle of milk and threw the whole lot up about one hour later. She slept fine over night and drank her morning bottle at 7.30 and it stayed down.

She had a bottle at about 10am and threw it all up at 10.30. Since them I have tried giving her diluted milk and plain water. It all comes back up. Now it is coming up within minutes of drinking. She has slept alot of the morning and is miserable when awake.

Do I just keep offering water? Does this sound like I should take her to a doctor or wait a while longer?

ghosteditor Fri 19-Apr-13 15:23:50

The advice I received for 14 mo DD may have been quite different due to her age, but when she was vomiting I was told to monitor for wet nappies, dehydration, temperature etc.

From what you describe I would be starting to get quite concerned about dehydration. There are lots of nasty viruses around, but if she is no longer keeping anything down it is worrying. If you don't get a call from the GP I would look closely at the NHS website for guidance and consider A&E. I hope she improves really soon hmm

RunningOutOfIdeas Fri 19-Apr-13 15:45:32

Thank you. Gp called quicker than I expected. We are now in the gp waiting room. Hope to be seen soon.

ghosteditor Fri 19-Apr-13 18:01:36

Good! Any word?

RunningOutOfIdeas Fri 19-Apr-13 19:09:44

GP prescribed Dioralyte. DD has drunk 100ml of it over the past 2 hours and has not been sick.

i guess I should continue with Dioralyte over night and not try any milk until the morning.

LJC123 Fri 19-Apr-13 22:25:02

Hi,

My little one (5 months) has had this exact thing twice over the last few months. Doctor and hospital told me cut milk out of diet for 24 hours (or as long as you can cope!) and give dioralyte. When babies have a tummy bug they are temporarily lactose intolerant which makes them throw up milk. I've given my baby SMA lactose free milk for a few days and horrible nappies and sickness have stopped instantly.

RunningOutOfIdeas Sat 20-Apr-13 07:40:29

I have given DD half a bottle of milk this morning and it has stayed down so far. Hopefully the vomiting is now over.

LJC123 DD is dairy intolerant so is prescribed Nutramigen formula. We cannot use any alternative milk but the GP thought it would be ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now