Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Childs first operation

(5 Posts)
emmajk1979 Fri 19-Apr-13 13:25:24

Hi All, im new to mumsnet - hope you can give me a little advise. My 4 year old daughter is having her tonsils/adenoids removed and gromits placed on 29th this month. She knows she is having her tonsils removed - but hasnt questioned me on how this will happen. I havent told her about the operation itself - in your experience - did you explain to your child well in advance about the op - and what would happen - or do you leave it to the day or two before so they dont have so long to ponder things and potentially get themselves into a state of panic. She has a pre assessment on Monday (3 days time) perhaps the nurses will take this dilemma from me and will just tell her whats going to happen then - i have no idea - ive never had to go through anything like this before. Also if you have any super tips on what i should take with me/preparation for the days after the op in hospital and indeed at home that would be super. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give. Nice to e-meet you all.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 19-Apr-13 15:07:01

Nice to emeet you too and welcome to Mn. DS had his tonsils out but can't really remember how we prepared him, think I got a couple of books from the library. He was a big fan of Topsy and tim so liked this one smile

cestlavielife Fri 19-Apr-13 15:28:51

ask the childrens ward - thy will have photo books and teddies/dolls to explain what will happen. you can also arange a pre-visit to the ward. speak to thm and ask

also books like usbornes www.amazon.co.uk/Going-Hospital-Miniature-Usborne-Experiences/dp/0746066678

DeWe Fri 19-Apr-13 20:11:29

My ds has had grommets twice.

There's a good clip from Mr. Tumble visiting a boy in hospital. If I remember right, it shows the boy having the gas and then waking up afterwards.

The gas terrified ds both times, they tried getting him to play games but he was having none of it, so they just had to get on and do it. It is scary for them, if you can prepare with blowing balloons etc. then it will probably help.

The thing I wished I'd prepared ds for more the second time (wasn't really old enough to grasp the first time) was that they waited until he was awake before fetching me. That meant he woke up in a strange room with strange people. The result was he leapt into the arms of the closest nurse, realised it wasn't me and kicked her. Luckily she thought it was funny. blush But if you can make her aware that you may not be there when she awakes but you'll be there asap.

Also don't tell her "this will make your throat better". Because she will go into surgery without a sore throat and wake up with a very painful throat. I know a child who refused to speak to his parents for 2-3 weeks because he felt they'd lied to him. Tell her it will hurt when she wakes, but it will help later.

I always took a wrapped present for him to open when he recovered enough. Helped to calm him down.

emmajk1979 Fri 19-Apr-13 20:18:42

Thank you all for your hints/tips, much appreciated. I'll be sure to try them. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now