Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4 day tummy bug - should i take him to the Dr?

(10 Posts)
bumpertobumper Wed 17-Apr-13 18:57:25

I don't know whether to take my son to the dr tomorrow. My question is will the doc be able to give him something to make him better, or will I just be told to ensure he gets plenty of fluids and simple food?

DS2 who is 2.6 has had a tummy bug since Saturday evening. He was sick a lot for the first 24hrs, but then seemed to be getting better. Sick and/or runny poo once a day for the next couple of days, with fever. Today he seems to be a bit better in himself, still not right but up and about and more cheerful, but has been sick three times and one fairly runny but v pale yellow poo (sorry for tmi).
He has been drinking a lot, and still wants to eat (this evening he ate a mouthful of his dinner immediately before getting sick).

I have been trying (not totally successfully so far, but will be more vigilant from now on) to only give him plain, simple food with no sugar etc. A friend advised the BRAT diet which sounds sensible - Banana, Rice, Apple, Toast.

Any advice?
Should i go to the Doc?

Thanks

QuintessentialOHara Wed 17-Apr-13 18:58:49

Is he avoiding milk and dairy?

bumpertobumper Wed 17-Apr-13 19:03:22

Yes, dairy is one of the things I have been trying to avoid, and will now be stricter about...

QuintessentialOHara Wed 17-Apr-13 19:10:15

It should be avoided completely.

bumpertobumper Wed 17-Apr-13 19:29:11

OK, thanks Quintessential

Badvoc Wed 17-Apr-13 20:47:03

Clear fluid only.
No food Until 12 hours after last vomit.

tholeon Wed 17-Apr-13 21:13:43

I would call 111 or nhs direct for advice on whether he should see the doctor. As long as he is keeping fluids down he should be fine. Hope he gets over it soon, it is horrid.

ShowOfHands Wed 17-Apr-13 21:18:30

As long as he's hydrated, it sounds like he's slowly improving. If you are worried about hydration or he seems to develop any other symptoms or you're not happy, I'd see somebody but it doesn't sound abnormal.

The BRAT diet used to be recommended but now they say not to follow it. It neither helps them recover faster nor prevents vomiting. They do say to avoid dairy if things seem to be rumbling on as gastro bugs can cause a temporary intolerance but in terms of food you give them what they fancy within reason. No reason to give bland food or no food if a child is hungry. If they aren't hungry then it's fine to stick with fluids until they are hungry again.

bumpertobumper Thu 18-Apr-13 17:15:04

thanks for the advice everyone. have totally cut out dairy today (sent DP to the shop at 7am for some soya milk as DS was insisting on rice krispies, and a tired hungry two year old is hard to argue reason with...).
So far, all ok today...

tholeon Thu 18-Apr-13 18:19:08

Mine got this on Friday, totally fine Tuesday and Wednesday so I let her have some milk today and she was sick again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now