Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

How to administer tablets to my toddler

(4 Posts)
SalagadooLamagicaboo Wed 17-Apr-13 18:19:09

We are going away soon and my daughter needs to take anti malarial tablets.

Only problem is, we tried the first dose tonight crushed in fruit puree, and it is so bitter.

Any advice on how to give it to her? I am thinking in a syringe (calpol type) with some sweet liquid?

Thank you

Inthesleeplessnightgarden Wed 17-Apr-13 18:30:23

How old is she? Have been giving DS, now 2.5 malaria tablets ( paediatric malarone) daily for nearly a year now and we've managed using a variety of methods - changing from time to time when he got wise to one! Definitely seems better to give them whole rather than crushed so they can swallow with no taste. We normally do hidden in a spoon of yoghurt and down in one, hidden inside a grape is also a favourite he seems to crunch and swallow no probs, if all else fails tablet hidden in spoonful of jam or nutella works. Hope you have some success, we concluded that the importance of the tablets outweighs the evils of whole spoons of jam!

BlameItOnTheBogey Wed 17-Apr-13 18:38:33

We used to live in Africa. For us the fail safe method was crush it between two spoons and then mix either with a teaspoon of nutella or a teaspoon of peanut butter. Kids think it is their 'holiday treat'...

SalagadooLamagicaboo Wed 17-Apr-13 18:49:50

She is 18months old, and extremely fussy sad

The one she has is the one with 2 different ingredient (she takes half a tablet of one sort once a week) and then half a tablet of the other one once a day.

I am bf her too so I am guessing she will get some through my breast milk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now