Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Barking cough but don't think it's croup.

(8 Posts)
DanniiH Tue 16-Apr-13 23:20:10

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can shed some light for me as google not giving any other answers but croup.

My 3 year old ds had a barking cough in the night a few times last night, he was frustrated because it was like he was trying to cough something up but nothing moved. He has had this a couple of times before. The thing is there is no fever or any other symptoms like a gruff voice or anything and he is absolutely 100% well in the day time, not even the slightest hint of a cough.

Any thoughts please? X

BabyRuSh Tue 16-Apr-13 23:22:01

Asthma would be my guess. Night time cough is a common symptom in kids.

DanniiH Wed 17-Apr-13 21:20:07

Thanks. I've had a look in to asthma after reading your comment and it doesn't sound like it, the cough is similar but without the wheeze on the inward breath. He has no trouble breathing at all, very confusing! x

Paxroda Wed 17-Apr-13 21:34:17

You don't always get the wheeze with asthma !

Sorry but this may be a teaching you to suck eggs and very patronising comment so please take this in the way it's meant (my DS has asthma, by way of advice offered here). Make sure bedroom carpet/floor and mattress is hoovered daily and try an antihistamine daily (do you keep pets?).

Worth checking with your doc as if it is asthma it can be horrible.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Paxroda Wed 17-Apr-13 21:36:02

Oh - and don't hang bed lined on the line to dry (pollen attaches itself) rather dry indoors or in the tumble dryer (worth putting itvtyroughban extra rinse on the wash cycle too)

Paxroda Wed 17-Apr-13 21:36:19

Putting it through*

MayTheOddsBeEverInYourFavour Wed 17-Apr-13 21:41:47

My ds1 had/has this and it was asthma, he's never had any wheezing though only the barking nighttime cough

Probably worth getting him checked out just in case

DanniiH Thu 18-Apr-13 08:27:20

Thank you for the info, paxroda would not take it the wrong way I appreciate the advice! We do have a cat. The vacuuming thing is something I'll try and I'll get him checked at the docs. Not sure I'll give him daily medication though, at least not yet, he's had it 3 times in over a year and it's only ever been literally one episode of coughing that's woken him up 1 night, he's had calpol then gone happily back to sleep for the rest of the night. And that was the end of it. This morning though he has woken up with a phlegmy cough and snotty nose so maybe a cold is the culprit on this occasion. Definitely not previously though. I will go to the docs and see what they think to be on the safe side. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now