Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

To be concerned about my DD's recurring vomiting

(7 Posts)
scottishegg Mon 15-Apr-13 19:11:37

Hi all I have a 2 year old daughter who is bright and seemingly healthy however around 6 months ago she started being sick in the middle of the night- just once and was fine by the morning with no other symptoms at all. This vomiting would stop for 6/8 weeks then happen at least one a week at roughly the same time for 3/4 weeks then stop again. I took her to my gp 2 months ago ( I didnt go before as she would seem well straight after vomiting) and she examined my child and said she suspects that it was due to her overeating at night- she still has quite a lot of milk before bed and still wakes up once a night for more some nights she can easily consume well over 16 ounces of milk (formula). The gp said the other alternative would be indigestion and if it continues to give her infant gaviscon.

We have cut her down but probably not as much as we should have and after 2 months of no vomiting she has started being sick weekly once in the middle of the night again. My husband and my mum both think its the milk in fact my mum said it before the doctor but I am worried there may be a underlying cause. Should I go back to the gp or really really cut back on the milk and see how she goes, I am a born worrier too which I know sometimes clouds my judgement.

MistyB Mon 15-Apr-13 19:37:44

Watching this as I have a four year old with similar concerns only more frequent episodes. He is allergic and intolerent to many foods and I wonder if it is something we have missed. He also gets diahorrea the day afterwards and it is definitely not over eating at night as he drinks no milk and does not eat / drink before bed. We have had three weeks vomit free and then Friday night 11 and last night at 2:30. I am at a loss.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Mon 15-Apr-13 19:42:21

I would just cut out the milk to be honest. At two there's no need to be feeding her at night. If it isn't already it will at some point affect her appetite for breakfast. All that liquid in the stomach wound make anyone Sick Could well be an underlying cause but removing the night time milk should help give you the answer. smile

scottishegg Mon 15-Apr-13 19:51:50

I think to be honest the milk is a major issue as she is far too old for night feeds and it does stop her eating breakfast very often, the GP didnt seem very concerned at all and looking on the Internet night time vomiting is not unheard of in children! It just worries me as I am a glass half empty type of person and always think the worst! Will cut down milk much more than I have been thanks x

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Mon 15-Apr-13 19:55:47

Be hard for first couple of days but that will be it smile

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Mon 15-Apr-13 20:00:52

Be hard for first couple of days but that will be it smile

CocktailQueen Mon 15-Apr-13 20:05:58

I agree. She doesn't need milk at night!! And it could well be causing the vomiting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now