Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Migraine? Sinus infection? or both?

(5 Posts)
BeGoodElliot Mon 15-Apr-13 15:36:17

DD has been unwell since Wednesday, started off on Wednesday night feeling a bit off colour, sore head, pale, feeling cold, but she was eating and everything ok.

Thursday started off fine, but as the day went on became very pale, had visual disturbance, a constant running eye, pins in needles in face and feeling sick along with very sore head. Went to GP and was diagnosed with migraines and was given migraleve. Got prescription and took medication straight away, didn't relieve pain and vomited twice a few hours later.

Since then she has had a very sore head, nothing is shifting the pain (have now run out of migraleve) has barely eaten or moved from the couch since then.

No other symptoms apart from headache, tired and occasional nausea since Friday, although yesterday she started having constant (sorry!!) thick green snot. I am now wondering if it is more of a sinus infection that a migraine or if she has been unlucky enough to get both?!

She is now on day 6 of the headache with no real let up in pain regardless of what painkillers I give, so wondering if I should take her back to the Dr again. It seems a long time if it is a migraine?

Anyone any experience of child/teen migraines (dd is 12) know if it is usual to last this long, or if it seems to be more sinusy?

BeGoodElliot Mon 15-Apr-13 16:00:54

I have remembered that the Dr is closed on a Tuesday, so I think I might be as well going to the evening clinic tonight.

Feel a bit like a time waster!

Elibean Mon 15-Apr-13 17:00:19

Gosh no, you are NOT a time waster! Your poor dd, it sounds horrid.

I had migraines as a young teen, and they never lasted this long - I had visual disturbance, followed by blinding headaches that lasted about 12 hours. The aura would go when the pain started, and I felt sick but never was. People vary on length of time, but I've never heard of one this long - nor of one with green snot.

It does sound like a very bad sinus headache, to me, tbh, but I'm not a doctor. So yes go to evening clinic and ask about antibiotics! Good luck, hope she feels better v soon.

BeGoodElliot Mon 15-Apr-13 20:44:42

Thank you! I went along to the evening clinic and it turns out that she does seem to have a sinus infection. Her temp was very high too, so we have come away armed with a supply of medicines! smile

Dr said it could have been migraine to start with and then she has just been unlucky and got an infection too,as the visual disturbances etc wouldn't be typical of a sinus infection.

I was told to bring her back if it still doesn't clear up or any other symptoms develop, but hopefully she'll be on the mend now! smile

Elibean Tue 16-Apr-13 14:59:27

Relieved you have an explanation, and ABs! The temp would cause a bad headache too, quite possibly.

I bet it wasn't a migraine, but the start of the sinus infection - at least, I hope so for dd's sake!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now