Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Will they cancel DS's op?

(9 Posts)
toffeefee Mon 15-Apr-13 14:18:56

DS (3yo) is booked to have his tonsils and adenoids out later this week. He's pretty much had a cold/blocked nose/runny nose for the last month, but last week turned to a chesty cough. He's been intermittently coughing until gagging point, but has no temperature and is playing normally, eating normally and sleeping normally.

I am worried that if the cough doesn't go soon that they will cancel his long awaited operation. Of course I don't want him to have the operation if there is any danger of complications due to this cough.

We have an appointment with the GP tomorrow morning as I thought it best to get his chest listened to, but does anyone know if this is likely to lead to his operation being re-scheduled?

I was told that if he had tonsillitis on the week of the operation then if I got him some antibiotics they would probably be able to go ahead, but I assume for chesty coughs and the like things may be different.

TIA

digerd Mon 15-Apr-13 15:56:09

A chest infection can also be helped with antibiotics if that is what he has.

No ops are done under a GA if the patient has any infection in the lungs.

NaturalBaby Mon 15-Apr-13 16:04:05

My Ds had a very minor runny nose and his operation was cancelled. The doctor said even if it was a minor infection, the breathing tubes put in during the operation could push it down into his chest and it wasn't worth it as the operation wasn't urgent. They could have done it anyway but I thought it was best to wait till he was 100% healthy to have a good recovery, when he did have it he was home within a few hours.

toffeefee Mon 15-Apr-13 18:15:20

Thanks for the replies! As I thought, so we may be looking at postponing it. Will see what Dr says tomorrow and will keep my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery by Thursday!! Thing is, I can't see him ever being germ free until he has this operation! He is ALWAYS ill!! :D

toffeefee Tue 16-Apr-13 11:32:55

Well he saw the Dr today who said that he didn't have a chest infection, but that he could hear something on his chest so it would be best to postpone the operation. On top of that poor DS was up in the night sick, so for the best really.

digerd Tue 16-Apr-13 13:11:00

I had to have an X-ray to determine if I had any chest infection which shoped up as a 'lesion', they couldn't diagnose it just listening to the chest.

Your little boy must be as fit as possible before he goes under a GA and definitely no vomitting - that is more dangerous than a chest infection.

So, yes it is for the best. Hope he soon rallies and is fit enough for his op.
Good luck

digerd Tue 16-Apr-13 13:12:29

oops 'showed up'

toffeefee Tue 16-Apr-13 13:44:21

Thanks Digerd! He seems much better today and is acting as though he wasn't up ill most of last night! He wants to play on his car outside which is a good sign I hope. I, on the other hand, am shattered with a banging head!

We have to see the Dr again Friday to check his chest again. Dr said he could hear something moving when he breathed, nothing to worry about under normal circumstances, but enough to want to give him time to be fighting fit before operating.

digerd Tue 16-Apr-13 21:07:07

It's amazing how small children bounce back so quickly, and just as well as you will not be able to . Hope your head ache has gone tomorrow.

It's probably a touch of bronchitis the Dr could hear.

Good luck for his op and that it cures him.

I had my tonsils out at 4, 6 decades ago, but I remember it well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now