Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Moody DD!!

(12 Posts)
oneandnomore Sun 14-Apr-13 20:32:35

I am pretty sure that DD, almost 8, is in pre puberty. She has a few pubic hairs, is starting to smell a bit oniony under her arms and has the most awful mood swings.
I will make an appointment to see GP, but was wondering if anyone can advise re her moods. She has always been what I call spirited, so some of her behaviour is her usual. But I have been keeping a diary and it does seem to be cyclical, approx. every three to four weeks she is really awful.
I have spoken with the pastoral care staff at school, they haven't picked up on anything, and she is always well behaved at school, child minders etc.
Any advice welcome please.

frazzledbutcalm Mon 15-Apr-13 14:22:07

Tbh I think it's just part and parcel of dd's. My eldest dd is not 13 and was always strong willed etc. She's actually much better now she's started her periods! Youngest dd is 9 and we have the few pubic hairs, bit smelly, nipples changing... but no mood swings ... yet wink
All you can do really is just go with the flow. Recognise that some mood behaviour she may not actually be able to control. I know with my eldest dd there is a definite difference to her period moods and general moods. It's just learning to see the difference and adjust accordingly.

LaCerbiatta Tue 16-Apr-13 13:23:08

If she's only 8 and showing those signs (the bo and hair) then I would take her to GP asap as she may be too young and need some hormonal treatment to stop puberty.

I also have been a bit worried that dd (7) could be in pre-puberty. She had developed a breast bud, was also really moody and I also noticed her hair greasier. But the breast bud disappeared and it all seems to have settled so I'm wondering if maybe it was some rise in hormones that has settled back down again. GP told me if I saw any pubic or underarm hair she should be referred to an endicronologist to investigate precocious puberty.

Sorry, this isn't much help. Just thought I'd share my (not very helpful!) experience smile

frazzledbutcalm Tue 16-Apr-13 13:35:41

tug .... why did I not click! Sorry OP for hijack! As my above post, dd2 is 9 and has some symptoms of puberty. She's been referred to an endocrinologist for a recently diagnosed thyroid problem ... the 2 are probably linked and it slipped my mind!! Thank you. x

oneandnomore Tue 16-Apr-13 21:52:43

Don't be sorry frazzled, all info welcome! I hadn't thought about thyroid. If it is connected, it would explain her being so tired, she is a twelve hour kid and is a nightmare if she has a late night.

Thanks tug, I have made her an appointment with the GP for next week. I have told her that sometimes our insides grow too fast and that the doctor might ask a special doctor to check her bones. She is a bit of a worrier so thought this is all she needs to know at the mo.

frazzledbutcalm Tue 16-Apr-13 22:14:56

Tiredness and worry is part of thyroid problem. As is going into puberty early. My dd other symptoms of thyroid include sore chest when doing sport, bad breath, constant sore throat, breathlessness. If your GP suggests blood tests, ask to also check it for thyroid. Long shot, but worth ruling out.

Badvoc Thu 18-Apr-13 20:42:19

Hmmm...my son is 9 (10 in June) and he has got some public hairs.
Also a bit whiffy in the pits area.
Would that be classed as precocious puberty!?

Badvoc Thu 18-Apr-13 20:42:32

Pubic, NOT public!

frazzledbutcalm Fri 19-Apr-13 12:41:18

Lol badvoc

I think puberty hits earlier now a days. Dd1 was 10 when she started with hairs etc, 12 when she started her periods ... that's late now according to GP!

I know a lot of girls and boys going through puberty in dd2 year at school (year 5). I think this age is pretty normal. I think year 3 would be early, but year 4 (age 8/9) would be borderline normal.

Fwiw, a friend of mines ds is 9 going on 10 and he has pubic hairs and his 'bits' are growing, I'm informed by his mum.

Badvoc Fri 19-Apr-13 12:44:57

Oh lord.
I'm not ready!! smile

oneandnomore Sat 20-Apr-13 14:42:35

Me neither Badvoc. They are so little still aren't they?
Dd has had a tummy bug so had to remake GP appointment for next week. Will let you all know how it goes.

Badvoc Sat 20-Apr-13 17:33:07

Hope it goes well x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now