Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

have come to the conclusion that DD didn't have a nightmare or night terror but a hallucination...

(11 Posts)
QueenOfIndecision Sun 14-Apr-13 14:24:45

any advice? it went on for about 30 minutes in the early hours of the morning. have had a chidl with night terrors before and this was very different. DD was clearly awake and talking to us. at one point she was sick and wet herself. she was telling us exactly where the orange bear was, hiding under teh cover to avoid seeing it and gave blood curdling screams of the sort i've never heard from her before. she did settle a little on reading endless books from her bookcase in a different room but insisted on blocking the door to prevent the bear entering and jumped at every sound in case the bear was returning. eventually let me go down teh stairs for calpol (she felt very hot to the touch by this point but not throughout) and water. and then eventaully started to play and write. a couple of hours later she left the room and went to see her brother, telling him in detail about the bear adn what it looked like. an hour or two later she went back to sleep and is now very hard to rouse but doesn't feel hot. i ruffled her hair and she woke up stared into space and said 'bear' and went back to sleep.
usually healthy, not on any medication. aged 4 years 7 months. sleep has been disturbed due to trip to grandparenst recently but on the night it occured she'd slept well.
any advice gratefully received?

SkipsTheImmortal Sun 14-Apr-13 14:33:27

I'm sure someone that knows more than me will come along soon but the fact you say she is now hard to rouse sounds worrying. Maybe call doctor/NHS Direct? There were a couple of times I had hallucinations as a child and it was because I had a fever.

QueenOfIndecision Sun 14-Apr-13 15:25:15

she's now up and wandering around. convinced that DH and I could nto see the bear because we were not wearing our glasses. appears ok but wants to stay close to me in case it comes back.

BeaWheesht Sun 14-Apr-13 15:56:01

Have you taken her temp / does she feel hot?

kelda Sun 14-Apr-13 15:59:04

Is she sick now? I would speak to a doctor.

QueenOfIndecision Sun 14-Apr-13 17:05:04

She no longer feels hot. and i am cursing for having no functioning thermometer - bought a silly mothercare battery one when the children were babies, now no battery - she is not sick at all, seems ok, playing fine. we have talked about it and i have tried to explain it to her but she is convinced the bear was actually there and has described him in some detail. let's hope it was just caused by a fever that went away.

dorapeppageorgenoddy Sun 14-Apr-13 19:13:11

My son had this twice, both with high temp and an infection- I think it was strep throat, the first time he was awake and his eyes were flickering around the room then he would fix on something and describe seeing a puppy then would go really scared and see a monster! It was very strange and real, we called ooh and the doc came out to us (it was about 2 in the morning) and the doc made up the antibiotic there and then.

Second time, really high temp 103/104 and we bought it down by calpol and next day doc confirmed Strep throat -

It can be quite a serious symptom of an infection are there any other symptoms you are worried about?

dorapeppageorgenoddy Sun 14-Apr-13 19:14:49

Just to add that my son also talked about it with conviction and can still describe the puppy and monsters!

QueenOfIndecision Sun 14-Apr-13 19:29:26

She has had a cold, nothing out of the ordinary, and blocked ears - keeps saying what what?
she cut her head badly 3 weeks ago.
These things always happen on a sunday and i had been wondering about OOH but as they don't seem to exist anymore around here angry i think i will take her tomorrow if i can get her in. Thanks for your advice everyone.

dorapeppageorgenoddy Mon 15-Apr-13 17:59:31

How is she today?

QueenOfIndecision Mon 15-Apr-13 18:46:38

that's for thinking of us dora and co. she has been absolutely fine, i was worried last night it woudl happen again but she slept through no problems although i had to stay with her for her to fall asleep as she was worried that bear would return. Have taken her temp which is fine, and booked in to see GP tomorrow to discuss it. the only concern remaining is her hearing which seems really down actually so maybe she has some kind of ear infection i will get them to check.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now