Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

HELP! Chicken pox - infected maybe TMI? What to do about it?

(20 Posts)
CheckpointCharlie Sun 14-Apr-13 10:40:33

Dd 4 has a particularly foul bout of chicken pox grin and its been ten years since I dealt with it in dd1 so am panicking.

She has had temp, first spots appeared on weds but hardly any. Today she is really totally covered. There is a particularly nasty one on her back which she scratched on day 1 which now has a yellow/ Greeny tinge round the outside and looks like it has a small amount of pus at the top of the scab. She also has one on her lower eyelid which looks like it has pus in too, but where the blister should be IYSWIM and her eye is a teeny bit swollen.

NHS Direct says that if they get infected they need to see a doc. Does this count? Am I being ultra paranoid? DH thinks I am a loon.

Help MN!!!!!!

Sirzy Sun 14-Apr-13 10:45:48

As you are worried about one near her eye I would phone OOH for advice.

CheckpointCharlie Sun 14-Apr-13 10:49:28

Thanks sirzy I have uploaded pic of the one on her back, but have managed to post it upside down. confused

lljkk Sun 14-Apr-13 11:04:48

They sound and look within normal to me.
Dd had loads around her eyes when she had CP as a baby & was fine (vision is good).
The photos of her pox around eyes as baby are truly awful; I'd link but kids photos are behind a firewall.
We didn't seek any medical advice, just monitored.

CheckpointCharlie Sun 14-Apr-13 11:30:56

Hmm so one for me and one for DH! Might do both!

NotSpartacus Sun 14-Apr-13 11:35:29

The one on her back might need some fucidin (antib cream). Think you need a prescription to get that.
The eye should be seen by a GP.

MaureenMLove Sun 14-Apr-13 11:36:31

Think I'd go with you! It might be infected. She could have scratched her back, then rubbed her eye?

Of course, it might be absolutely fine, but you'll not rest until you know. Costs nowt to make a phone call - well it does, but you know what I mean! grin

CheckpointCharlie Sun 14-Apr-13 12:16:57

Have called, pic of eye is on my profile, upside down again, god knows why it's doing that.

lljkk Sun 14-Apr-13 12:20:49

DD's eyes were way way worse than that. She had like 3 or 4 like that around her eyes.
pm me with your email addy & I'll even send a pic.
I think you won't be confident until you get a medical opinion, though.

CheckpointCharlie Sun 14-Apr-13 12:24:40

And yes maureen exactly that, I keep checking her, p

CheckpointCharlie Sun 14-Apr-13 14:08:11

Just got back with anti biotics sad doc said they were defo infected and she had a temperature. sad

Glad I went! Thanks all, just needed that little bit of MN agreement that I wasn't being paranoid. That makes it ten times we have had to take her to A and E or out of hours......!!!

DameSaggarmakersbottomknocker Sun 14-Apr-13 15:18:18

See that you're sorted with anti-bs; that's good news. My dd had CP at less than a year and the ones in her nappy area got dreadfully infected.

CheckpointCharlie Sun 14-Apr-13 15:31:15

Thanks dame poor little imps. My dd is so poorly, all slumped, lying on the sofa, we are on Dr McStuffin episode 27...

oneandnomore Sun 14-Apr-13 20:20:45

When DD had infected chicken pox, she found being in the bath really soothing. She would have several a day, I used to put some porridge oats in a muslim and tie it round the tap so that the water ran through it. This really helped, and I used to lather her in aqueous cream with calamine.
The Aveeno bath oil is really good to.
Hope she is feeling better soon smile

CheckpointCharlie Sun 14-Apr-13 20:45:34

Funny you say that, she hates us going near her to even look at the spots and cried for ages about having a bath but once she was out (I made her lie down once with her head under not completely! ) she was sooooo much better and just sat with nothing on for ages.

The porridge oats is a great tip, i used some mild baby wash as a bubble bath rather than the normal one which did the trick!

She has some enormous hideous craters though. We have anti biotics now so fingers crossed. I attacked one of them with a cotton bud with tcp on while she was watching Peppa Pig. Not popular is an understatement!

oneandnomore Sun 14-Apr-13 21:23:33

I'm not surprised!
Once the anti b's have started to work she will soon pick up. Keep her topped up with Calpol/ibuprofen as they can be painful.
DD had craters too, most healed well, she still has scar on her nose though.

CheckpointCharlie Sun 14-Apr-13 21:37:32

That's good news then. When I say attacked, I dabbed it once with the soggy end of a cotton bud!

Thanks! [ smile]

CheckpointCharlie Sun 14-Apr-13 21:37:44

And a smile!

MyDarlingClementine Mon 15-Apr-13 13:55:53

I wouldn't put any bubble bath in, even that has stuff in it just pure oats.

CheckpointCharlie Mon 15-Apr-13 17:07:05

Ok, will do, thanks. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now