Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

ENT Expertise please! DD complained about ear briefly then showed DH her finger....

(9 Posts)
PessimisticMissPiggy Sun 14-Apr-13 08:43:02

DD (23mo) was grizzly all night but no temperature. After breakfast she was playing, stopped to complain about her ear, then showed DH her finger tip which was covered in brown waxy liquid.

He rushed her to me in bed another room, explained and I could see a loose brown waxy fluid in and around her ear and hair. I cleaned it up, it didn't seem to smell at all. DD has has a cold all week, with a fever for one day only which was 5 days ago now. She had a bath last night and got her ears wet when I washed her hair.

Since she was a few months old, DD has had very waxy ears that I clean by wiping the outside of her ear after a bath with a towel (never any further). Her speech development is good (says a few words a bit weird but put that down to being a toddler) and her understanding is great.

So what do you think? Visit to out of hours doc? A blockage of wax loosened by her bath? Glue ear developed post cold?

Help please!

BeaWheesht Sun 14-Apr-13 09:23:12

I'd get her checked out today

blondieminx Sun 14-Apr-13 09:27:12

I'd get her seen by the doctors today. I know this is a bit grim but I'd take along some of the tissue you used for the cleanup, so the doc can see what exactly came out of her ear.

PessimisticMissPiggy Sun 14-Apr-13 09:54:38

Thanks for the responses, it definitely wasn't pusy or blood tinged - it was just wax, but loose.

Out of hours seems a bit much.

Coconutty Sun 14-Apr-13 09:56:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HeartOfDixie Sun 14-Apr-13 10:00:46

Hello. Sounds like her ear drum burst and the gunk is the wax. My daughter has had this too many times, the first time I though her brains had come out! She went onto tonne diagnosed with severe glue ear and had grommets etc. I would definitely get it checked out incase antibiotics are needed and then see if the GP will refer you if you are worried about the frequency of waxy ears. Is the hearing affected?

fuckwittery Sun 14-Apr-13 10:01:22

Hello, my children both have leaky ears, generally looks like snot coming out their ears, only usually smells after a few days.
It usually means there is a little hole in the eardrum, caused by an ear infection, and the pus from the cold has gone into their ear (this is how I understand it)
It usually means the eardrum has burst now or at some point in the past, but the painful bit is before the eardrum bursts not now, this provides relief. Both my kids have ended up with glue ear and DD1 has had grommits, DD2 may need them. I have never taken them to emergency doctors but usually take them when I can when there is discharge. I am usually told to come back when the discharge has stopped as they can't see much then.

PessimisticMissPiggy Sun 14-Apr-13 13:02:48

Thanks all, went to out of hours centre but there was a 2.5hour wait and the triage nurse advised as she wasn't uncomfortable then it could wait until morning surgery.

Dd's fine but will return if uncomfortable or signs of worsening.

HeartOfDixie Sun 14-Apr-13 13:23:33

Sounds like good advice and a sensible plan. Hope all stays well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now