Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Nasty reaction in 4yr old DS arm after immunisation, what will help?

(11 Posts)
MyCatIsAStupidBastard Sat 13-Apr-13 19:30:23

DS had the polio tetanus diphtheria and whooping cough pre school immunization Thursday (they had run out of the MMR so he didn't have that, booked in for two weeks time).

Anyway the whole of the top of his arm has swollen up. We have seen out of hours doctor who told us anti histamine and keep it cool (it's very hot to touch)and watch out for signs of infection. He has a slight temp (about 38.5) and has had calpol.

I guess my question is, has anyone else had this reaction with their DC)? How long did it take to go down, and what else should i watch out for?

DS is fine in himself but his arm is not pretty.

MyCatIsAStupidBastard Sat 13-Apr-13 20:25:27

Bump

BarbarianMum Sat 13-Apr-13 21:56:29

We had this with DS1 (just to that one re-immunisation, the MMR arm was fine). His upper arm (shoulder-elbow) was incredibly swollen and red, but didn't hurt him luckily.

The doctor checked it to make sure it wasn't an infection but it wasn't, just a reaction to the vaccine.

I worried a lot but nothing happened. The swelling peaked after 24hrs, then went down gradually over 4 days.

If it keeps swelling and swelling I should go back to the doctor, ditto if your ds becomes poorly or you think thee is an infection but it may be nothing (!) but a reaction.

MyCatIsAStupidBastard Sat 13-Apr-13 22:44:15

Thanks Barbarian, sounds like our DSs have had similar. Good to know it peaked then slowly subsided.

And Good to know MMR didn't do the same, i'm glad he didn't have them together now.

He's sleeping and whilst it is still really swollen he seems ok.

Asheth Sat 13-Apr-13 23:08:02

MyDS had a similar reaction to his pre-school booster. After a week I took him back to the doctor who gave him antibiotics. DS2 had the same, but improved on it's own after about 4 days. Neither had any reaction with the MMR.

MyCatIsAStupidBastard Sun 14-Apr-13 09:12:51

I am pleased to say that whilst still swollen the arm is definitely looking better today.

Thank you for your responses, good to know he's not the only one and that the MMR didn't seem to do the same.

MousyMouse Sun 14-Apr-13 09:18:12

you can report this side effect to the mhra yellow card scheme

MyCatIsAStupidBastard Sun 14-Apr-13 09:27:00

Thanks Mousy, what do they do?

rubyslippers Sun 14-Apr-13 09:30:59

DD had this with her boosters

it was a localised reaction which we went to the GP about

draw a line in marker round the rash and see if it spreads significantly - if it does i would get immediate advice

DD;s peaked at day 4/5 and then went down

MousyMouse Sun 14-Apr-13 10:07:56

cat they monitor all the side effects so they dan take steps if it turn out that a medicines has more side effects than stated in the label.

MyCatIsAStupidBastard Sun 14-Apr-13 12:39:10

Thanks Mousy. I have registered with it. They want really anywhere that i could find this reaction detailed so good to be able to put it down.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: