Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cramp in 5y/o - any helpful suggestions please?

(9 Posts)
BlueBumedFly Sat 13-Apr-13 17:00:43

My 5y/o DD gets nocturnal cramp and we are quite used to it, I put it down to not enough water drank during school hours/after school care etc.

Today she has just had cramp in her leg lying in front of the TV chilling out. This has been our day (and her food consumption):

- Breakfast Banana, Kiwi, Apple mix, yogurt, cereal oat bar
- Lunch: (out at a restaurant) Cod, peas and about 10 chips
- Water but potentially not enough as we were shopping
- A few jelly sweets as a treat

We have shopped for new shoes and gifts and been out about 4 hours. This week she has been on half term, done lots of activities including gymnastics, trips to the farm and swum every day.

I know her diet today included a few chips and a few jelly sweets but its Saturday smile - no salt on chips and no other snacks at all.

Does anyone else have experience of cramp in children? Is there a food group that helps relieve/prevent it? She had a whole banana so I thought that potassium helps?

She is very tall for her age (110th percentile) and very straight up and down IYSWIM. Not skinny but not well covered.

Thanks in advance.

gordonpym Sun 14-Apr-13 07:13:47

Actually, it's magnesium that helps with cramps. Potassium, calcium and sodium are all essential. So do not cut back her salt intake.
Magnesium can be found in nuts and seeds and ..dark chocolate. Try to buy water with high magnesium content or just give her a sport drink such as gatorade. Especially if she is very active.
The question is why is she getting cramps? I would mention it to the GP.Some are normal during rapid growth, but you are telling me there are recurrent. Does she have flat feet?

BlueBumedFly Sun 14-Apr-13 10:54:42

Thank you so much for your post.

No, she doesn't have flat feet, quite the opposite, a very high instep. She is very active so will take on board the magnesium for sure, we are practically a nut free home due to sibling allergies but I can add seeds to flapjacks etc.

gordonpym Sun 14-Apr-13 12:01:28

I was asking about flat feet, because when the leg is not aligned (because of the flat feet) properly it causes muscle stress and cramps.
I don't know if the opposite - a very high instep - is true as well.

BlueBumedFly Sun 14-Apr-13 12:39:23

That's really interesting thank you - I shall do some googling !

gordonpym Sun 14-Apr-13 13:22:14

Well, I became curious and paid a visit to Dr. Google myself, and it seems an high arch is a very common cause for leg cramps. High arch and leg cramps.

So it may be worth a visit to the GP after all to be referred to have orthotics made.

BlueBumedFly Sun 14-Apr-13 14:50:59

Oh wow - I see! Her high arch is loved at ballet of course for a good turn out, don't want her to be in pain however sad will chat to the GP.

Thanks again !

gordonpym Sun 14-Apr-13 15:25:19

With two DSs I didn't think of ballet! grin

BlueBumedFly Sun 14-Apr-13 18:47:48

Haha, ballet keeps boys super fit and strong - then again so does football I guess smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now