Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD1 Cough, Advice Please

(5 Posts)
superbabysmummy Fri 12-Apr-13 22:24:45

Hi Mum's

DD is 24 weeks, my first and have not had much to do with children otherwise so need as much help & patience as you will give, no idea re. Children and illness, as you can imagine the smallest thing = big panic for me!

She has had a cold for a few weeks now, pretty nasty but she's coped with it like a little trooper, a mild cough went with it. I took her to docs Monday & he listened to her chest, saying it was clear (I suffer with severe proneness to chest complaints, asthma, pneumonia, pleurisy etc so would hate for the same for her).

He also said the cough was a good thing because it would be keeping anything from going onto her chest & that there is not much you can do for babies this young in terms of medicines anyway so not to worry and she would right herself. I am not convinced.

However today and worse tonight this cough has developed, it's rattly and sounds very phlegmy. Is this normal when babies have coughs? I have given her calpol.

What would you do if DC's had very nasty cough? Am I being a paranoid mum or should I call doc out now? She's really struggling and for the first time EVER refused a bottle.

LilRedWG Fri 12-Apr-13 22:32:09

You should always trust your instinct - listen to them. If you think she is struggling then call the out of hours gp for advice.

Also, a good gp would rather see your little one than have you worry all weekend so don't worry about seeming paranoid.

I hope she is feeling better soon. It can he so frightening when they are small.

Sirzy Fri 12-Apr-13 22:46:10

Your worried. She is still very young no doctor will think your paranoid.

Also monitor her fluid intake and number of wet nappies closely.

Hope she is ok

superbabysmummy Sat 13-Apr-13 22:27:28

Instincts were right - thank you thanks Took her to docs today, she had a fever & ear infection (both ears), antibiotics and calpol/nurofen combo should hopefully mean she gets some rest tonight and feels better tomorrow. Poor love hmm

LilRedWG Sun 14-Apr-13 16:31:34

Glad she's got a diagnosis and I'm sure she'll be lots better by tomorrow. :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now