Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Medised alternative?

(8 Posts)
PoptartPoptart Fri 12-Apr-13 16:40:22

I'm looking for an alternative to Medised seeing as they've now stopped selling it. It was the only thing that helps DS (age 7) get a good nights sleep after a cold/cough. Medised contained a combination of Paracetamol and Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride - I'm not sure of the percentage of each of these ingredients though as a spoonful of Calpol and a spoonful of Piriton doesn't seem to have the same effect. Does anyone know of an alternative medicine that might help? I seem to remember that Calcold had the same ingredients but they seem to have stopped selling that too! Help!

oneandnomore Fri 12-Apr-13 21:02:06

I think that different decongestants/ anti histamines contain different ingredients. Piriton works really well for my DD when she is snuffly, but I only dare give her about 3 mls as it does make her drowsy, so I never give it in the day.
Benadryl is a non drowsy formula, have a chat with the pharmacist for advice.

Elibean Fri 12-Apr-13 23:53:23

Benelyn Children's Night Coughs is diphenydramine. So that plus calpol is the same as Medised.

But having said that, dd2 gets wide awake and cross after the few times she's had Benelyn - and she was prescribed Medised as a toddler (she had breathing issues whenever she had a cold, until she had surgery aged 24 months) which never seemed to do anything other than dry up her nose and throat, and let her sleep. Very odd!

olivo Sat 13-Apr-13 13:17:01

We use the benylin children's night coughs plus calpol for DD, definitely the best combination, we have tried many!

olivo Sat 13-Apr-13 13:18:06

Oh, and we had the opposite to Elibean, medised made her more hyper! Strange ........confused

Elibean Sat 13-Apr-13 13:41:28

Olivo, I'm guessing the hyper factor is in the 'extras' rather than the active ingredients...

olivo Sat 13-Apr-13 13:52:14

Hadn't thought of that, you're probably right!

xigris Sat 13-Apr-13 13:54:28

When DS1 had a shocking cough that woke him up about 8 million times a night our pharmacist recommended phenergan. It worked really well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now