Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

4.5 weeks and bellybutton not healing

(5 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Fri 12-Apr-13 14:08:30

DD is 4.5 weeks. Her stump came off at about 10 days old. Over the last week or so she has developed a rather wet-looking yellowish lump protruding a little way from the indent. It gets yellow-ish stains on her vest but not a huge amount, and not very sticky or bloody.

I have been using a bit of saline on it the past couple of days but if anything this has made it look slightly worse.

Anyone know if this is normal? would feel an idiot bothering the doctor if it's totally normal.

FWIW it doesnt seem to be causing her any pain. It isnt red or sore looking.

Thanks in advance!!

scissy Fri 12-Apr-13 14:22:32

My DD had this. It weeped but wasn't infected (no redness). The GP had to cauterise it at 8 weeks but it would've have been done earlier if the first GP I saw knew that's what needed to be done! I suggest getting it done earlier before they start wiggling more...

emeraldgirl1 Fri 12-Apr-13 14:24:54

Thanks scissy!
I have been Googling and there is something called an umbilical granuloma - painless and minor apparently. The pics look a bit like what DD has, though some pics are VERY red and fiery-looking!
I will take her to the GP next week and just risk that they think I am an over-anxious new mother!
Am assuming it is the kind of thing that CAN wait until next week...?

peachypips Fri 12-Apr-13 14:24:57

I think it's a granuloma if it's the same as the thing my DS2 had. It eventually healed but he still has a little fleshy lump that is just like a normal piece of skin. Show to HV or GP to check.

scissy Fri 12-Apr-13 14:33:44

Yeah, mine was like yours all until 8 weeks when it started bleeding - first GP I saw at 6 week check said come back in 4 weeks if it hadn't healed, so it obviously wasn't considered urgent! needless to say I went back earlier because as she became more active it started to bleed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now