Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DS' foreskin has become unretractable - Advice please?

(6 Posts)
Theicingontop Fri 12-Apr-13 12:16:44

He's three in July. I (well, he!) discovered that his foreskin could retract around 6 months ago, and the health visitor assured me that whilst it was a little early, it was perfectly normal and gave me all the relevant advice as to how to wash him, which was basically don't, just leave it alone.

This morning while in the bath, he told me his willy hurt. I had a look, and it won't retract anymore. Has it fused back, is that possible? Is this normal or something I should see the doctor about?

DaffodilsAhoy Fri 12-Apr-13 12:25:14

You should see the doctor, my son had the same problem and ended up with repeated infections which required antibiotics. Your GP can advise about the foreskin problem.

Suzannesee Fri 12-Apr-13 17:35:03

This sounds like 'acquired' phimosis as distinct from 'natural' phimosis which will often resolve itself. Acquired phimosis will not. This is because the foreshin has probably become infected at some time and it has gone gone unnoticed subsequent to retraction due to the wrong advice given by the HV. Yes, as long as it's not retractable with it's inbuilt protective adhesion to the glans remaining, leave it alone. BUT, once it has become retractable, it DOES need washing because dirt and harmful microbes can enter the warm moist cavity causing infection.

Infections often heal with scar tissue at the tip which is not elastic and can''t then stretch over the glans as the original elastic tissue once did. Be sure to point out that your son was once retractable. He will almost certainly need a circumcision and the earlier the better. At this age he will quickly recover without an unpleasant memory. The doctor may not agree - many are misinformed on this, or oppose the procedure or prevaricate with 'wait and see'. Don't - I speak from experience of dealing with this. PM me if you want more info.

Theicingontop Sat 13-Apr-13 08:12:04

Thank you for your advice. I had another look before bed last night, and found that it is retracting, just not as easy as it was before. As though his foreskin is tighter? Does that make sense?

He's off to the GP Monday morning.

JennyJoJack Sat 13-Apr-13 08:43:06

My son's foreskin did not retract at all until he was nine. He had no problems all that time. I took him to the doctor as it was starting to bother my son and she gave me a short course of steroid cream which he applied for about three weeks. His foreskin went back no problem after that.

Loshad Sat 13-Apr-13 23:49:57

It may not need a full circumcision though, a v shaped cut tin the foreskin will nearly always allow full retraction ( had a ds with this who ended up needing an op at 12)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now