Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

18 month old - Screaming & Dirty nappy

(7 Posts)
exhaustedfromepping Thu 11-Apr-13 21:57:58

For some months now my 18 month old starts screaming & being spiteful but on every occasion it is about 10 - 20 mins before she has a dirty nappy. She is not constipated and does not appear to look like she is having trouble pooing. She is not particularly windy. Originally we put it down to bad behaviour but now we see the pattern.

She is also not a big eater and only ever wants milk. She still wakes in the night and can easily drink over 10 oz (Aptamil). She will not drink cows milk only formula. She does have water but not a lot. In the night I have tried giving water but she refuses and for a peaceful night I end up giving the milk.

I know this has become two issues, but I really can not find any information online about toddler behaviour and possible affects with bowel or kidney problems or anything that may be linked. However I am convinced there is a connection and that it is not straight forward toddler behavioural issues.

chuckeyegg Fri 12-Apr-13 20:10:30

Bump..

memememum Fri 12-Apr-13 21:02:39

My 17 month old ds gets a very sore bottom with poos when he is teething. He also does not want any food that he doesn't recognize as soft and when the actual tooth pain occurs (usually at night) he does sound like he's screaming.

Like you, I now recognize the pattern and take action as early as I can. Give him banana and yoghurt for tea, give a dose of calpol just before bedtime and smear teething gell on his gums at some opportune moment before he gets into bed.

memememum Fri 12-Apr-13 21:03:57

Also lots of nappy cream (metanium).

narmada Fri 12-Apr-13 21:15:14

If you think she is in pain then take her to your GP. It could be something as simple as an anal fissure - and she has developed an apprehension about going. Hence the 'bad behaviour' when she senses a BM might be coming.

exhaustedfromepping Sun 14-Apr-13 23:12:04

Thank you both

Smartiepants79 Mon 15-Apr-13 07:33:21

Hemorroids? Toddlers can get them.
Don't knowing your fussed about getting her onto cows milk but have you tried mixing it with formula. That worked for several friends of mine. Slowly changing the balance of cows milk and formula.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now