Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

fixed braces fitting

(5 Posts)
flipflopper Thu 11-Apr-13 14:29:39

My dd is having braces fitted in a couple of weeks, her apt is in a morning, should I expect her to go straight to school afterwards or will she be aching/ sore?

Anyone got experience? Thanks

Theicingontop Fri 12-Apr-13 12:23:27

It can get very sore. I remember the jaw and headaches I'd get right after the appointment, but I'm not so sure about the initial fitting.

The orthodontist should tell you whether he's put any tension on them, and whether your dd should expect some discomfort. Soft food and a couple of paracetamol always did the trick for me and I was fine at school smile

DeafLeopard Sat 13-Apr-13 11:01:11

Our ortho tells us to give DS paracetamol straight after the appointment before a headache sets in. He has top and bottom braces and has them adjusted every 6 weeks and usually goes straight back to school afterwards.

SueDunome Sat 13-Apr-13 11:18:31

Are these her first braces, or is she used to wearing some form of braces anyway?

ds had block braces first and then moved on to fixed braces, so he was used to wearing braces and so the eating food side of things was actually easier with the fixed braces.

It is extremely likely that she will have an achy jaw / headache for a while afterwards, so make sure you have paracetamol to hand. This is true after every fitting, as they change the wires to make the braces gradually tighter.

It's your call, but I think if it was me, I would send her to school with paracetamol. She can always let her teacher know she's not well and come home again if necessary.

Sparklingbrook Sat 13-Apr-13 11:24:45

Ideally not going back to school would be for the best. DS1 didn't feel great and had to get used to eating with it in.

See how she feels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now