Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Can you get private scans for babies?

(12 Posts)
Birdies Thu 11-Apr-13 08:59:26

My local doctors are not very good. They are generally quite dismissive, the appointments are rushed and they miss things. For example, they didn't do the hip check on my baby at 6 weeks and now at 3 months old it turns out there may be a problem. She has been referred for a hip ultrasound but we won't get an appointment for weeks.

On top of this, I'm concerned there may be an underlying issue but again, no one seems to take this concern seriously. I hope I'm wrong but I'd like tests to be carried out to check. I'd rather not pay but I just want some peace of mind sooner so I feel my only option is to go privately.

But is that even possible with babies?

kanecarter Thu 11-Apr-13 09:22:24

Generally in scan they are checking fetal development. Size of the fetus, size of the head, limbs,organs, placement of eyes, placement of the placenta, amount of amniotic fluid , spine, etc. Once they are sure everything else is developing and where it should be they will check the gender of the fetus. If its a girl it will kind of look like a hamburger bun. If it is a boy, well you know what it looks like. They can differentiate between the penis and the cord by little notches that will be present in the cord.
Usually they can tell but sometimes they can not. It usually takes around half an hour to do iit all sometimes less. If you want to insure an active baby and better chance to find the gender drink some OJ , or eat a candy bar about half an hour before you go in.

BeaWheesht Thu 11-Apr-13 09:32:29

Kane? What? The baby is born as far as I can tell?

bonzo77 Thu 11-Apr-13 09:38:15

I'm sure you can. Probably the best start is a private paediatrician.

weegiemum Thu 11-Apr-13 09:48:34

My dd2 had a hip problem and her NHL care was top notch, I'm sure we couldn't have got better no matter how much we paid!
Would it help to go back to the GP and see someone else. My dd had a clear hip check a birth (certainly none of mine had it at 6 weeks, it was done on discharge from maternity, my dd's problem was degenerative at age 4).
You don't say what your underlying concerns are, is it related to the hip? It would be fairly hard to get decent orthopaedic paed care out with a major centre with scanners, orthopod theatres etc.

I hope you can sort things out for your dc.

Birdies Thu 11-Apr-13 11:24:19

Thanks everyone for replying. Yes baby is here, she's 3 months old.

I stupidly went and googled a while ago when her head grew quite quickly. The syndrome I found then is also associated with displaced hips. So I've put 2 and 2 together. Although her head looks normal again now so im hoping im just being a plonker. I also have a DD with another syndrome though so I'm probably more sensitive to spotting things and trying to diagnose things myself. I just can't bear the waiting and want to speed things up to (hopefully) get some peace of mind.

weegie do you mean NHS? Also if my baby's hips are found to be displaced, what does it actually mean? I know a brace would be involved but will she have months of pain when wearing it? I daren't google that as scared what else I will find.

cestlavielife Thu 11-Apr-13 12:18:14

if you can afford it go prviate but it will costs hundreds for scans and so on.

if fudning is an issue then, go aback to gp and insist calmly on a referral

weegiemum Thu 11-Apr-13 12:34:27

I meant nhs. Sorry.

If you do think your child has hip dysplasia, it it worth contacting STEPS who are great with lower limb conditions. I'm not that familiar with dysplasia (my dd was related for Perthes Syndrome, a different condition). But one of dds nursery teachers had undiagnosed dysplasia as a child, and is now awaiting surgery she should never have needed, and is in constant pain.

If you are in Scotland I can recommend an amazing nhs paediatric surgeon at Yorkhill. I'm sure parents at Steps could help with other areas.

Hope you find out soon, it's awful not knowing what's going on. We waited for a referral but on the Saturday that dd2 was crying in pain dh took her to a&e (and he could see the doctor rolling his eyes - dh is a GP and he knew he was getting the "fussy GP who knows it all" look from them). One x-ray and she was diagnosed with a very severe case.

I really hope you get the answers you are looking for.

nellyjelly Thu 11-Apr-13 12:37:12

I once had concerns about my DD when she was a baby and thought about going private but tbh you usually see the same consultants anyway, plus private healthcare is not really geared up for peadiatrics and the NHS is.

nellyjelly Thu 11-Apr-13 12:38:33

Btw a simple ultrasound can cost around £250 so scans are very expensive.

chocolatecakeystuff Thu 11-Apr-13 21:45:58

Go back to your gp & ask for a referral to a comunity pead :-)

They will usually take you seriously.

Failing that insist the gp doesn't give you the brush off.

lastnightidreamt Thu 11-Apr-13 21:55:38

You will need a referral from your GP anyway, to go privately. Once you have this, things move very quickly with children, as you probably know from your DD. Keep pushing and telling them what you want.

Re the hips, I have known friends' babies who have had the problem resolved simply with wearing double nappies for a time, and also in a cast (hips and both legs) - not great fun but it does the job. Hope it resolves quickly for you.

weegiemum how is your DD now? DS is currently in a broomstick cast with perthes, and I think I remember reading one of your old threads.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: